Erik Cortina is going to do the Backfire challenge

Erik should simply state which shots he would not take on an animal and fire away at a milk jug "just because" that is part of the challenge. He's a champion in events and I noticed his range reference; his personal hunting yardage limits are the maximum range here as well. I think it suits him and his abilities and to show he's human too.
Bob, or anyone here remember what the original game they were trying to simulate for this challenge? Did they reference elk? I'm pretty sure the shooter did but I can't remember what the host was trying to simulate.

Negative! It is pretty straightforward. EC knows exactly what he is getting into and is pretty honest about it.

He has nearly 35K views in 19 hours already. So, it already working for him.
Hmm okay, I never questioned EC's choices on rifles. And like I said EC already stated he didn't think he could pass the test with 100 percent hits. So that favors my contention that it's a false test.

Hmm okay, I never questioned EC's choices on rifles. And like I said EC already stated he didn't think he could pass the test with 100 percent hits. So that favors my contention that it's a false test.
One thing that is inherent is he took the challenge, and again he knows exactly what he is getting into. Jim is also enjoying the attention it is generating. A win-win for both already. He also said he would give it his best. I am not sure what constitutes (or whose authority) his efforts as a false test.

One thing that is inherent is he took the challenge, and again he knows exactly what he is getting into. Jim is also enjoying the attention it is generating. A win-win for both already. He also said he would give it his best. I am not sure what constitutes (or whose authority) his efforts as a false test.
Well a realistic test. Do we fire off a string of one hundred shots when hunting? Shots consecutively are going to negatively affect the rifle's accuracy. So let's be realistic. How big is the vital zone of our game? A gallon jug last time I measured was around 9 inches tall not including the little neck and cap and 6 inches wide. That's pretty small compared to most big game's vital area. Even an antelope's vital area is in the 8-5-9 inch in diameter. And finally the host supplied the ammo. I don't think there is one person in this forum that would accept a test using untested/ unfamiliar ammo. If they do then I'd have to question their knowledge/ abilities. I place ammo pretty high in the system. I'd never hunt any distance with ammo I didn't load or test. Built in failure probability if you ask me. And that's based on testing people's firearms abilities.

I wouldn't put it past a lawyer to come up with a false argument to win his case. All they have to do is create an atmosphere of doubt to win their case.

Well a realistic test. Do we fire off a string of one hundred shots when hunting? One shots consecutively are going to affect the rifle's accuracy. So let's be realistic. How big is the vital zone of our game? A gallon jug last time I measured was around 9 inches tall not including the little neck and cap and 6 inches wide. That's pretty small compared to most big game's vital area. Even an antelope's vital area is in the 8-5-9 inch in diameter. And finally the host supplied the ammo. I don't think there is one person in this forum that would accept a test using untested/ unfamiliar ammo. If they do then I'd have to question their knowledge/ abilities. I place ammo pretty high in the system. I'd never hunt any distance with ammo I didn't load or test. Built in failure probability if you ask me. And that's based on testing people's firearms abilities.
The challenge from Jim was no one could do 100% of their shot at 600Y and is clearly noted in the first 30 seconds of Jim's video that prompted this.

The challenge from Jim was no one could do 100% of their shot at 600Y and is clearly noted in the first 30 seconds of Jim's video that prompted this.
Well then if no one can do it then I guess no one should do long range hunting. As far as I can tell that IS HIS argument. My approach is different. Because my standards for testing my abilities is different, and I consider them to be more realistic. This is why I have always placed the cold bore shot as the only one that counts. In things as serious as hunting or defense it's the one that counts the most.

Well then if no one can do it then I guess no one should do long range hunting. As far as I can tell that IS HIS argument. My approach is different. Because my standards for testing my abilities is different, and I consider them to be more realistic. This is why I have always placed the cold bore shot as the only one that counts. In things as serious as hunting or defense it's the one that counts the most.
That's not what Jim is saying either. And even EC acknowledges that people do miss. At what percent is what makes it interesting? For instance, one guy who shoots his rifle to 1500Y and shoots the PRS commented "he'd be lucky to get 50-60% at 600Y on milk jugs".

That's not what Jim is saying either. And even EC acknowledges that people do miss. At what percent is what makes it interesting? For instance, one guy who shoots his rifle to 1500Y and shoots the PRS commented "he'd be lucky to get 50-60% at 600Y on milk jugs".
So then what's the purpose of his test/ challenge? In his video Jim says " I'm really done talking about 800, 100 yard shots on game. Very few people do it, I know very few people who should be doing it. But i don't know a single shooter on the planet, not one. And I've shoot with world champions, I've shot with some of the best known shooters out there, I've shot with a ton of them. I don't any shooter alive that can make 100 percent of their shots within 600 yards.". The whole topic is based on hunting long range. I broke my stance on watching his video just to quote his statement. So this test is his criteria for long range hunting.

For instance, one guy who shoots his rifle to 1500Y and shoots the PRS commented "he'd be lucky to get 50-60% at 600Y on milk jugs".
And if this is the case then that seems like I'm correct that this test is a set up for failure.

I don't now why it is so hard for some folks to just pass on by.... If what BF and EC are doing is not your "cup of tea" move on to something that is your cup of tea. Or send your criticisms directly to BF and EC. (I am sure it will go in the permanent file). The nitpicking everything about what their doing is such a waste. Go do your own thing in front of camera and post it. Most of us will support and encourage you. No need to diminish what other men are "actually doing."

Recent Posts