Entry level Thermal Scope ?

Varmint Hunter

I'm thinking about buying a thermal scope for a couple of upcoming hog hunts. It will not be a frequently used item so I'd like to get a decent unit @ minimal cost. Looking to spend around $2,000.
Any suggestions?

Pulsar rxq30. It's about as good as you will hey I'm that price range. I have one and it works fine juts keep in mind you will have to work harder to identify your targets in this price range but it works fantastic and gets it done.

You need to consider how far you are planning to shoot with it. As mentioned above, its really all about how far you can identify your target. I have a hogster 25mm and I really like it but to me I its a 100yd thermal, maybe a little further at most. I have not looked through expensive thermals so I can't tell you what they are like but with the lower end thermals, the lowest power setting will be the clearest and it degrades rapidly from there. When I hunt, I never take it off the lowest setting which is a very crisp picture and I am very happy with it. I tried the 2nd setting and it just lost too much clarity but thats just a personal preference. You can crank it up but at some point you will be shooting at unidentifiable blobs. The point being that if you plan on shooting a couple hundred yards across a field, you won't be happy with a lower end thermal. If you are hunting 100yds or less, they are fantastic. I was trying to decide between the pulsar and the hogster and ended getting the hogster on sale for about the same price as the pulsar. The specs of the ATNs look fantastic but they make me nervous. I have never owned one but they have gotten a bad reputation. I think it is due to poor customer service as well as releasing their day/night scope with so many bugs. My understanding is that they have worked them all out and their newer models are worth the money, Their thermals are all new lines. Have they worked all the bugs out yet? The other thing I don't like about them is that they have an internal battery. The hogster and I believe the pulsar both use 2 cr123's. The hogster can handle rechargeables, not sure about the pulsar. Rechargeables are a slightly different voltage and can damage a thermal if they are not designed to handle them. The hogster has a setting for rechargeable or not.

I have a rxq and it has only one zoom. I'm able to take shots out to 250-300 easy. Problem is depth perception is a problem. So I switched form a socom to a 6.5 grendel shooting 99gr hammers and set it 2" high at 100 for max point blank range. Center mass and squeeze.
But wry happy for the price

I've been looking at a new Pulsar Thermion XM30 that comes in at $2,200. The biggest downside is (apparently) fixed focus. Buying your first thermal is a dizzying process.

The scope will be put on a RRA in either .223 or 458 SOCOM.

Last edited:
Pulsar thermelian for $2200 sounds like a good deal. After my experience, fixed focus doesn't sound so bad. I hunt on the lowest setting. I can shoot at higher settings but I love the granularity at the lowest. Also means less things to break.

Get on a site called LoneStar Boars. There is a ton of info on there. Also you can look up Third Coast Thermal. Call Cliff tell him Ken sent you and he will answer any question you have and direct you in the direction you need to go. He is a nice guy and I have bought dang near all my thermals from him. Best of luck to ya. :)

Last edited:
Nightvision Outfitter Staff Shooter
A). What's primary target?
B). What is most likely environmental conditions you shoot in?
C). What is terrain/land scape you will most likely hunt?
D). What is your realistic/longest expected shot?
E). How tech savvy are you?
F). Is recordability important to you?
G). Is Made in America or country of origin important to you?
H). You've already stated entry price range. I can tell you unless buying used you won't get anything new with warranty.

Zen knows more about this than anyone here so take his advice. Mine came down to the one I bought and the pst223? I think is what it was. One recorded the other had picture in picture. I'm very happy with the one I have.

Give Outdoor Legacy Gear a call and talk to Jason. I've talked to them several times before, great people and will help you decide on the right scope for you.

Give Outdoor Legacy Gear a call and talk to Jason. I've talked to them several times before, great people and will help you decide on the right scope for you.
I noticed that they've got some helpful info on YouTube as well. I'll give them a call.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.