Encore Pro Hunter , just a heads up !!

I have owned 2 tc encores. One in the pro hunter configuration with a ML barrel, 30-06 and 22-250. The trigger was terrible. It was a very gritty, creepy 7 pounds. I had it reworked by a local shop. Which made it slightly better, but still lousy. I traded that gun off to a buddy who loves it even with the bad trigger. The ml barrel shoots unbelievably well.

Now that MN allows shooting rifle calibers in a pistol for deer, I just bought a standard stainless encore in 308. The trigger is heavy, about 4#, but it has no creep at all. Even though it's a bit heavy, it should work pretty good for hunting. Now the only thing I have to figure out is how to shoot the darn thing without getting bloody knuckles from the spur on the trigger guard. I shot it last weekend and ended up bleeding. That 308 seems to whack me no matter how I grip it.

I have owned 2 tc encores. One in the pro hunter configuration with a ML barrel, 30-06 and 22-250. The trigger was terrible. It was a very gritty, creepy 7 pounds. I had it reworked by a local shop. Which made it slightly better, but still lousy. I traded that gun off to a buddy who loves it even with the bad trigger. The ml barrel shoots unbelievably well.

Now that MN allows shooting rifle calibers in a pistol for deer, I just bought a standard stainless encore in 308. The trigger is heavy, about 4#, but it has no creep at all. Even though it's a bit heavy, it should work pretty good for hunting. Now the only thing I have to figure out is how to shoot the darn thing without getting bloody knuckles from the spur on the trigger guard. I shot it last weekend and ended up bleeding. That 308 seems to whack me no matter how I grip it.

I have a couple of encore pistols w/multiple barrels. The 30'06 combo got my knuckles a couple of times in the past.

I would guess that you are two handed shooting it. Correct? I found a couple ways that work for me to save my "knuckles". One is to grip the front grip with my off hand while shooting. Kind of like you would with a rifle just with no stock.

The other way I shoot them is by using my off hand as a back travel base, wrapping my off palm and thumb (be careful with this and never do this on a semi-auto!!) around main hand, (lower than my main thumb). This supports my main wrist. My off thumb almost touches my main index first knuckle. The base of my off thumb is behind the base of my main thumb, and even supports my main wrist, albeit just a little.

This only allows the top of my off index finger to make it to a danger area near the trigger guard.

I do like my .308 combo. It is scoped, has a decent trigger and I do not shoot hot loads out of it. I found it pleasurable to shoot in that configuration.

Good luck! gun)

Thanks Pons. I actually had it out again yesterday for the second session with that little fire breather. Things worked out a bit better this time. I wrapped my trigger finger with tape to cover up last weekends wound and not reopen it. My little cut was actually the result of the right side of the frame, which is pretty much square, hitting my trigger finger with a lot of force. I had blood splattered up the side of the gun. I ended up shooting nearly 90 rounds. I was shooting some homeloads that consisted of 46.0 grains of Varget pushing a 150 grain Hornady SST set .030 off the lands. With the old Burris 2x scope on it I shot a few 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards. I also shot out to 200 yards, which is as far as I plan to hunt with it. I was able to keep em all inside 6 inches with the exception of a few flyers and I also was able to bang the steel gong at 200 pretty easily. It's a pretty impressive little gun. I'm sure with a full summer of practice, I'll be ready to take a crack at a deer. I'm excited to give it a try. I'm also planning on getting a 223 barrel for plinking and prairie dogs. That should provide some good practice as well. Thanks for the advice. I'll give your methods a try next trip to the range. Good luck to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.