Encore caliber advice

Dano

I just checked the T/C web site and you have many calibers to pick from in 15 inch barrels. I am sure a 7-08 or 308 would make a great deer round and factory ammo is no problem.

Bill

There is also Bullberry as well. Manufacturer choice should depend on what you are looking for. Be Pickey and get what you want the first time around. There are lots of Encore After market bbl makers.

Anyway, you're going to be amazed at the level of accuracy that you can get from an Encore. They are sure a blast to shoot. gun)

Dan

I take with me while stand hunting for deer my T/C Contender with either a 10 inch barrel 357 Mag loaded with 13.5 grs H110 and a 180 gr Hornady XTP bullet. Or a custom barrel 14 inch long in a wildcat 225 Winchester case necked down to 6mm. I will shoot a 80 gr. Sierra SSP bullet 2650 fps with 30 grs. Varget. I have Weaver 2.5-8x28 scopes on both barrels and they are very good scopes, never had a moments trouble out of them and the glass is very clear. I have killed deer with both out to a max of 107 yards last year with the 357 mag. Most shots have been 50 to 98 yards. The 6mm225 really smacks them. I also hunted years ago with a 10 inch 30-30 win barrel on a Contender and found that you really don't need much more gun for deer under 150 yards. From my experience with the 357 mag I bet the 357 Max would really be a great deer thumper. I would go with a 180 gr bullet in it. The deer I shot with my 357 mag and the 180 gr XTP last year at 107 yards was quartering slightly toward me. I placed the bullet in the center of its front shoulder. The deer jumped out of the log road path and ran about 50 yards and crashed. It was dead the moment the bullet hit it but it did not know it. While cleaning the deer I found that the bullet had entered the center of it's right front shoulder and traveled through the chest cavity destroying the lungs and punched through the liver doing a lot of damage and angled along the inside of the gut not hitting any gut stuff and the bullet was found between the belly and hide at the front edge of the off side back hip. The bullet was a text book mushroom. You could not ask for more from a 357 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.