15' encore

The nice thing about 270 win is that it is very inexpensive to shoot compared to many other calibers, easy to find ammo, and there is low recoil ammo available off the shelf. Honestly, I am not a big 243 fan, not because it is a bad caliber, but what are you gaining vs. just using a 270 and low recoil ammo that day?

My son and I use low recoil 270 ammo at the indoor range locally. I can easily hold the rifle with one hand and the recoil is nominal. Not much different than shooting 38s in a 357. I did this test because like you, I am considering a handgun in a similar caliber.

I have a rebuilt shoulder, so yes felt recoil is something I pay attention to, even though I don't like this restriction.

Anyone shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor in an Encore pistol? Better a 260? 260 has better brass I believe? How about a 243ai. That seems like a good choice? I'm going to order my first Encore pistol barrel this year. Recommendations along these lines too would help. I was wondering if anyone has used a custom barrel and has a smith that does the weld and chambering in one package?

If you are going custom barrel route, MGM is the only one who will build on a blank you provide. MGM is a top notch T/C barrel maker. They also provide a quality barrel on blanks they stock.

SSK Industries can also make you a top notch barrel. They use Shilen blanks. They will not build a barrel on a blank you provide however.

Either company will serve you well.

As far as caliber, it all depends on what you plan to do the the gun.

I think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be an excellent choice in the Encore myself.

Beautiful Barrel, I like the octagon fluting, did they do that too? Got enough rings! What caliber is that? Does anyone do trigger work on the Encores too? I did look up SSK after I posted and they look like they are still in full swing on the TC and other stuff

This barrel is a BlackStar ACCUMAX 1 cut rifled barrel. The Octagon profiling was done by the manufacturer of the blank.

However, Match Grade Machine, as well as SSK can do octagon barrels also. They also can do various different styles on contours as well.

Caliber is a 30-338 Win Mag, hence the number of rings to assist in keeping the scope in place.

SSK and several others do Encore trigger work.

i more or less decided on the 243 or the 260. would a 16" barrel be better then a 15". as far as accuracy. would it be worth the extra money.
thanks

Accuracy isn't a function of bbl length but rather of barrel harmonics.

Worth the extra cost? I reckon only you can decide that... But for me, I think so. I kinda like 16.5" lengths.

However, a 15" is a bit more portable. It is also only slightly slower.

i more or less decided on the 243 or the 260. would a 16" barrel be better then a 15". as far as accuracy. would it be worth the extra money.
thanks

260 rem will be excellent. Barrel length means just about nothing as for accuracy goes. I like barrels from 15 to 17 inches.

Best of luck.

love my encores

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.