encore accuracy

tony c

I have a question for you pros. In your opinion how accurate can you get with an Encore? Can you hope to get close to bolt action accuracy? I have noticed that alot of the most dedicated or should I say sofisticated shooters seem to be using bolt actions.
Thanks for any input.
Tony c

Yes, You can get a TC to shoot with bolt rigs.
Sometimes even beat bolt rigs.

But they are more finicky.
They don't have a free-floated barrel.
And, their lock-time is slower compared to a bolt rig.
Also, you have to move the TC off of your rest to load and unload.

I have a question for you pros. In your opinion how accurate can you get with an Encore? Can you hope to get close to bolt action accuracy? I have noticed that a lot of the most dedicated or should I say sophisticated shooters seem to be using bolt actions.
Thanks for any input.
Tony c

My opinion of the T/C is it will never consistantly out shoot a bolt gun, I'm not saying it can't happen I'm just saying that it won't do it consistantly. The problem is the lack of floating barrel, also anytime you break open an action there is no way to close it the same everytime with the same amount of force, the pins are never in the same spot everytime is also an issue. Just my .02 for what that's worth.
GOD BLESS,
Mac
P.S.
Yes I have seen T/C's shoot very well.

Thank's for the responses. Are we saying that an Encore can make those 1000 yrd. shots like some of Ernies bolt action rigs?
Tony c

Tony,
I wouldn't try it on game at distance, and here is why.
Field shooting will involve less than perfect field rests at times.
The TC system is subject to point of aim changes due to different pressure points on the forend. It is just one more thing to worry about that you shouldn't have to think about when hunting. Also adding a bi-pod will sometimes dramatically change POI at distance
Plus, if you go beyond a 308 Win head size your action is going to be flexing more than you want.
I have seen a few TC's shoot very well, but that is in bench mode.

I think you would be much better off with a bolt rig or an MOA for considering these distances.

I guess I would hate to see someone spend a lot of money to get a system set up, only to meet with frustration, doubt, and more importantly failure to achieve your goals.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.