Elk hunting colorado clothing gear.

unclefish

Well this was my 3rd year to clark colorado for elk hunt. I am somewhat limited on gear to bring. First year cold there I was prepared for that. 2nd year I was walking around with my t shirt on some mornings and nights a little chilly. Brought no light weight gear. I didn't even have a orange ball cap just heavy orange hat. This year brought some light weight gear same deal morning and nights chilly but worse thing I only brought my meindl 800 gr boots. My feet sweat like crazy boots where soaked from being so hot. Not sure what to do seems like it has been getting warmer and warmer every year. I would rather be hot then cold once my feet and fingers get cold I am done. Also I didn't bring enuff mid or base layer everyday sweat like crazy and you could smell it on my shirts. So I am sure the elk could to.

UncleFish - do you have a question somewhere in there, are you making a statement or are you trying to initiate discussion?

I'll guess you're talking about 2nd season there in Routt County....

I see you're from the North East so you are familiar with cold weather. I've climbing in the Whites in New Hampshire - love that country and winter weather!

The thing about 2nd season (and/or 3rd season) timeframes here in Colorado, based on my limited experience of living here a few years, is the weather is *highly* variable in the Fall/Early Winter.

This Fall/Early Winter weather variability increases as you gain elevation.

I've frozen my feet, in my youth, so many times that now they are susceptible to cold much easier so I too make boot/sock selections very, very carefully.

What I've done in the past (backpacking/climbing) is;
1) look at current and forecasted weather/temps for the area
2) choose my boots based on coldest *likely* temps
3) bring along a couple different sock weights and sock liners to adjust to daily temp/activity needs
4) so on the daily hunt I plan on bringing extra socks to change out if they become sweaty

Other clothing selections are similarly made, but I generally choose items that allow for layering to accommodate weather. Also, I pack along plenty (for my need) undergarments (t-shirts/drawers).

ALL of my Fall/Winter clothing is wool or synthetic - NO COTTON (especially undergarments)

(there is an exception to my anti-cotton stance, but is well beyond the scope of this discussion)

I break down clothing needs like this;
1) shell gear (hard shell jackets/pants, gaiters, boots, gloves/mittens, hats, goggles or sun glasses depending)
2) insulative layers (fleece suit, wind-bloc vest, over-sized thinsulate "long john" pants, wool socks, wool sweaters/fleece sweatshirts)
3) base layers (long-sleeve t-shirts, drawers, synth sock liners)

My cold-weather strategy comes not from hunting, but winter backpacking and climbing where item selection must be carefully weighed (no one wants to pack/haul an extra 20lbs of gear through 3ft of snow or up 4,000ft of vertical....).

I hope this helps....

Trying to figure out what other people wear . For some reason when my finger or feet get cold I am done I start shaking alot. Do you where non insulated boots and just wear better socks??
Is it worth the money and pay for some type of sitka so called system. ???
I basically have to walk in to my spot up to 2 miles then sit. I try to not wear to much heavy then put on when I get there. At 1 point I had all shirts off with just my orange vest on. Was even thinking about taking my cabalas long underwear off.

Trying to figure out what other people wear .

Gotcha

For some reason when my finger or feet get cold I am done I start shaking alot. Do you where non insulated boots and just wear better socks??

I have one pair of non-insulated hiking boots (Oboz Bridger BDry Mid). My other boots (Alpine "Peak" and LaSportiva "Nepal Extreme") are insulated. I wear wool insulated socks (Thorlo's, DarnTough and/or some long/tall EMS wool socks) and liners and change them out mid-day. If the socks are really sweaty, I change them out at the 1st good rest spot.

Is it worth the money and pay for some type of sitka so called system. ???

I don't buy any manufacturers "system" because there are so many variables. They simply cannot know how much insulation you need or when you need it - that's why they offer suggestions how to best use their system (which will work with any system....).

I basically have to walk in to my spot up to 2 miles then sit. I try to not wear to much heavy then put on when I get there. At 1 point I had all shirts off with just my orange vest on. Was even thinking about taking my cabalas long underwear off.

Yeah, I start out dressed lightly (cold!) and warm-up as I walk. Depending on wind/temperatures, I will wear warmer gloves and a hat until I get warm and will then remove things as necessary.

For your hands get a pair of liner gloves and use these over them, Cabela's Men's Pinnacle Elite Glomitts. Gives your fingers 'wiggle' room. Throw in a hand warmer in each one when your hands get cold. I use them elk hunting in Colorado. Use them for the ATV ride up the mountain too, but sometimes it's so cold I don't think anything keeps your hands warm when riding. I also carry a pair of rag wool gloves to use if it is not that cold.
For the feet I use 1000 gram insulated boots . For socks it depends on the weather. If not that cold I just use my liner socks. If cold I use the liner and a midweight merino wool sock. Don't have that much trouble with the feet as I'm usually still hunting and on the move a lot. But if I do get cold from sitting, I start walking to warm up.

I try to dress in multiple layers. It doesn't have to be any one company's system, but by layering you give yourself options, not only each day, but during the day as well. My layers give me a solution for weather like this year (warm and dry) to weather that is well below freezing and snowing sideways. It allows you to be prepared for anything because the weather can change fast in the high country. As far as boots go, I bring a pair of un-insulated boots and a pair of 800 gram.

One more thing I would mention to you: if you are walking in up to two miles and then sitting, do your best to take your time walking in and not sweat. The more you sweat, the more you can get chilled once you sit down and stop moving.

I pack a large duffle of layer options. I have a good variety of base/mud layers from other outdoor activities. Each year seems something new and upgrades are needed. Warm weather I am fine. The -23f that moved in last year cut through layers! Made some sock upgrades (didn't get to test this year) and packed some thinner down this year in case I needed more insulation. This year hunted O2 and have never dealt with that much rain in CO... Wet! Wondering about grabbing something like a firstlight stormtight jacket to add to my aresenal now (but normally I wouldn't have a need for that piece of gear... Budget decisions).

One common issue still to resolve is how to efficiently dry out boots when the weather blows, seems airing out does little overnight. We aren't woodstove wall tent guys nor generator camper guys.

Try putting antiperspirant on your feet. It will keep them drier through the day. Also, change socks frequently or air dry through the trek. This will reduce the effects of cold feet

Try putting antiperspirant on your feet. It will keep them drier through the day. Also, change socks frequently or air dry through the trek. This will reduce the effects of cold feet

I see they make an aerosole unscented I will give it a try next year. Thanks for tip

I pack a large duffle of layer options.

Wisdom.

The -23f that moved in last year cut through layers! Made some sock upgrades (didn't get to test this year) and packed some thinner down this year in case I needed more insulation.

Yeah "deep cold" always provides big challenges to active-wear insulation needs/considerations. I have a "Windbloc" fleece vest that goes everywhere/every time - it is amazing. It allows me to wear a lighter jacket over top of it for when I'm on the move (and sweating up a storm!) keeping my core warm and my arms/sleeves can shed perspiration/heat (I wear adequate gloves to keep hands/fingers warm).

This year hunted O2 and have never dealt with that much rain in CO... Wet! Wondering about grabbing something like a firstlight stormtight jacket to add to my aresenal now (but normally I wouldn't have a need for that piece of gear... Budget decisions).

Something light wgt that is windproof/waterproof with room to layer underneath is what I do. Currently, I use a jacket I recently picked up from W-Mart of all places.

That firstlight stormtight jacket sure is spendy!!!! I'm sure it's nice, but I'd find a less costly alternative. Ultimately, they are ALL like wearing a large trash bag with sleeves and a hood - regardless of the price.

I have/use a lightweight Mountain Hardwear jacket that works well when I'm winter camping/snowshoeing, but isn't a nifty camo pattern for hunting.

One common issue still to resolve is how to efficiently dry out boots when the weather blows, seems airing out does little overnight. We aren't woodstove wall tent guys nor generator camper guys.

Are you talking about wetting from the outside of the boot or inside?

To prevent soaking on the inside of the boots, I use a VBL sock (cheap from Campmor) over a pair of thin liners with a heavier wool sock over top of it all - NEVER a blister or a moisture problem. Ever.

As to soaking on the outside of the boot, I can only comment from my experience.

I only wear all-leather boots (absolutely no nylon on the exterior) so my solution my not fit your needs. So for the outside, I first clear the leather really well. Then get a couple bottles/cans (you're gonna need 'em!) of good silicon spray meant for boot leather. Apply until the outside is utterly soaked (especially on the tops of the toes and "flex" areas). Let it dry naturally for a day or three and soak it again!!!

If you're really anal-retentive/OCD, you could (after the thorough scrubbing/cleaning) buy some SilNylon tent seam sealer and brush it into any seams on the outside of the boot. Then apply the spray silicon sealer like I mentioned above.

I know this all seems a bit over-the-top, but has been the only way I've found to keep my feet dry from external water sources (aside from the all-rubber 'muck boots' which can be very nice as well - just not as good for mountain hiking).

I wish someone had told me about/how to do this when I was first starting out.....I would've suffered far less. I now pay the price for having frozen my toes/feet so many times that unless I pay close attention, my feet/toes are always cold.

Protecting your feet/toes from the cold is a priority when being outside in cold weather.

Sorry about the book..... hope it helps.

I suspect the interior boot moisture was water wicking down socks more than anything. A VBL likely would have helped deal with the still wet boots later in the trip. My boot exterior is still waterproof but does need a reapplication after that trip to bead off water again.

Yeah that stormtight isn't cheap but getting a decent lightweight rain jacket that isn't paper thin and going to get shredded by scrub oak costs a bit even from non-hunt oriented companies. Ideally I want pit zips too. Bonus if the fabric is less noisy. I am on the fence about the investment. I have a good gortex mountain hard wear sell but it's blue so I would ideally like black/brown at minimum. Not sure full camo is worth the extra money and also potentially limiting usage (I am not the type that wears camo out around casually usually.

By the way what VBL sock does campmor carry? I looked around in the past and only saw integral design's or such.

By the way what VBL sock does campmor carry? I looked around in the past and only saw integral design's or such.

Sorry pods - I gave bad info..... Looks like Campmor doesn't sell them anymore nor do I think does Integral Designs make them (they used to though....).

The only reasonably accessible VBL socks I found looking around the web are offered by Stephenson's Warmlite. They've been in the business for ages and were/are 'cutting edge' tech and designs though never gained the popularity of the "big" names.

Here's a linky (scroll down to the socks):
Stephenson's Warmlite*|* Clothing

If you're 'handy', these would be an easy DIY project using simple coated nylon (or silnylon, though I don't personally prefer it) and some seam tape.

Otherwise, you could always improvise using a pre-fabbed stuff sack (nylon or silnylon) for tent poles or similar. Just a thought...

Good luck on finding the right light-weight, pit-zipped, durable rain jacket. It's an elusive (non-existent?) beast....

I was pondering getting some silnylon to make some tarps from. A larger one for intentional camping and a smaller one to consider having in my pack which could offer the option to use that to stay out in rain longer glassing from under it (or if fairly far out for the day to get under it to shield much of the rain) as well as just another piece of "emergency" gear.

Long story short I'd have scraps I could make some VBLs from.

Ah the elusive unicorn of a jacket! Actually hit REI last night to look over everything they had there as well as stalking the net. Assuming one is fine with just using black vs camo there are some solid looking options out there. My criteria was vents, not too thick/stiff, and a laminated product vs just a coated one. A couple caught my interest:

OR foray jacket: MSRP $215 but available ~$140. Impression is its between a rain jacket and a hard shell, uses paclite gortex, 15oz, not too stiff/crinkly, seems moderately robust to handle some scrub oak. Exterior isn't as plasticy as others which will help on sound but over time will wet out more (which means longer dry time and less breathabiliy but if robust enough and quite it could be a good trade). Medium fit over a medium marmot athletic cut softshell I was wearing there (6'-185lb) but I might consider going large to have room to stuff a puffier layer under if needed. Lots of solid reviews on it and some mixed. Main complaints I've seem tend to be immediate leak or no-leak issues and/or the appearance of little to no DWR coating (QAQC?) which seems like could be immediately tested in the shower. Pit zips extend all the way to the waist so you can open it up like a poncho if desired (the long zips likely account for the overall weight).

REI motility: MSRP $160 (20% off coupon after the new year or other sales would bring it <$130). More like a stretchy soft shell with a PU membrane. 19oz. Need to read wetout/leak reviews more and closer. I like the concept of this jacket alot. Fits well, definitely going to be quieter and should be robust on brush. Its a little heavy for a hot weather rain jacket but for my hunting needs I don't forsee an issue with the weight of it. Decent pit zip length to vent. Fit/zips/fabric/features all seemed solid (to me) just a question of will is keep me as dry as something more towards the rain jacket/shell realm? Also it'll obviously wet out more and take longer to dry but could be acceptable as long as it doesn't soak through.

One I didn't see there that I wanted to check out is the MH Ozonic jacket: MSRP $200, can be found $160. 10oz. Its a stretch laminate like the motility jacket but sounds like its thinner. Based on what I liked about the motility this could be appealing as well. Main things I noted just looking online though is short pit zips, use of an interior storm flap on the main zipper with more of a regular zipper (vs the rubberized ones which the other two have). Those likely account for some of the minimal weight savings which might not be worth sacrificing (this is hunting not ultralight backpacking).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.