Elk Caliber?

I still say .28 Nosler with a Berger 195...

Here's ballistics comparing the .28 Nosler with a 195, to a .300 WM pushing a 215 Hybrid...

28 Nosler Berger 195.png
300 WinMag Berger 215.png

If I had the money, I'd buy one of those HC LR McMillan rifles in .28 Nosler. For a mid-weight hunting rifle, and having the 1:8 twist, with the Berger 195 Elite Hunters, that would be the ticket for everything from whitetails to moose, for up close and long range.

Then get you that 700 5R Milspec GenII in 6.5CM or .260 Rem for your cheaper (as far as shooting cost goes) target, varmint, and anything up to deer/antelope sized game.

@drtony.
Not sure if it was mentioned. Are you loading your own? If not and heading out for a hunt, I would be lean towards a cartridge that can be found at your local hardware store when you get to the camp. Things happen. Optics come unbuttoned, need to be zeroed again. If you use your ammo stash it may be hard to replace newer chamberings from that local mountain mom and pop place.
Whatever you decide just think through the logistics and have a plan for it.
If looking for the "elk rig" I would be looking 338 something. Sounds like you got the plinker covered with the creed.

I myself would strap on my 300wm. It seems to fit the bill for anything out west I would encounter.

I have killed a lot of elk with a .270. Right now I have a 7 SAUM with 180 gr bullets as my go to rifle. Might use the search function and look up Broz's post on elk. He runs a ranch in MT with depredation elk hunts. He has seen over 70 animals taken in a season. He has a lifetime of experience in one year.
Bruce

Yep, there is no substitute for "real-world experience" and it's hard to argue with his overall success with the .300 WM and 215 combo on elk and other big game ...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/berger-230-and-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results.80283/

If you're worried about a 300 win mag being to much gun for whitetails, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's not. 300win mag has been my primary whitetail rifle here in Michigan for the past 10ish years. Run a tough bullet on the whitetails and it mitigates the majority of the meat damage.
Hopefully your Weatherby will be fine and you'll be able to use that.

When I was looking for a long range rifle for hunting out West I contacted Kirby Allen. After shooting some of his different rifles, the talk centered on what caliber did I need (vs. "want"). It boiled down to if I was going to shoot deer, antelope AND elk, or just elk? He said if just elk, then go .338, if all 3 then 7mm would be fine. So far both Elk and coyote have been one shot drops with the 7mm Allen Magnum, from 708 to 867 yds. Due to the velocity of the bullet, I don't plan on shooting anything under 300 yds with it. Just because I don't know how the bullet would perform at that impact velocity.

I think Nate foster terminal ballistics website is great for researching bullet performance on game

I agree - I've spent a lot of time reading Nathan's cartridge (and more specifically bullet) write ups. It's hard to deny his depth of experience. Especially interesting when it challenges conventional concepts or claims. The historical emphasis is kinda neat too!

Perhaps in an effort to temper public opinion, I've found he kind of talks up lesser known chamberings and talks down the popular stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm+Remington+Magnum.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.