Elevation Difference

champberetta

I am going to Colorado on a elk hunt that i didnt really have planned my problem is i have a turret set up for 264 win mag with a greybull precision scope for 2000ft elev and in colorado i will be up to or 7000ft. What kind of difference am i looking at enough to need another turret made which i don't think i would get in time or a couple clicks difference, i will run the numbers in a ballistics calculator but i was hoping someone on here has real world experience with this.

I am going to Colorado on a elk hunt that i didnt really have planned my problem is i have a turret set up for 264 win mag with a greybull precision scope for 2000ft elev and in colorado i will be up to or 7000ft. What kind of difference am i looking at enough to need another turret made which i don't think i would get in time or a couple clicks difference, i will run the numbers in a ballistics calculator but i was hoping someone on here has real world experience with this.
Without plugging the numbers into a program I can't tell you exactly what the difference is, but there will be some simply due to the thinner air/less resistance on the bullet.

Just run the numbers and make your self a comparative drop chart in fifty yard increments and out to about 650 you'll probably find very little difference.

One of your best sources would probably be to just call GB directly and ask them since it's they who set these things up routinely.

For a trip like this it might well even be worth getting another turret made.

without running all the numbers I can tell you about a recent experience. my father in law lives at 2000 feet and shoots out to 1000 near his place on a reg basis. 99 percent of the time he shoots off exbal and doesnt use a chart, but we made him one to use as a back up.

we were bear hunting a couple of weeks ago at 6300 feet and i dialed him in with exbal to a rock at 1060 yards. he made a great hit with 23.25 minutes of come up.

when ge got home he got out his chart just to see how much different it would be.

for 1060 yards, his chart called for 26 minutes.

i am operating off of memory here, but i believe all the numbers i just listed are accurate. bottom line is that his generic drop data compared to dialed in data using pressure, alt etc were approx 3 minutes apart.

I have turrets for my 6.5x284 with a 140 VLD at 2965fPS. From an altitude of 2000 to 7000 altitude I have to correct 2" low at 500 yards, 5" at 700, and 15" at 900 . This is at a temperature of 45 degrees. Under a 2000 ft difference I don't usually correct. You can adjust your turrets down the required clicks once you figure the adjustments for your load. Chances are you don't have to worry if your elk is less than 500 yards away. In any case I would check your POI at your hunting destination at 70% of the maximum range you are planning to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.