Electronic vs Manual Powder Throwers

Aaronfields

For the most possible consistent charges what does everyone prefer? Electronic auto throwers or the throw type powder dumps? I have a chargemaster lite and it seems to do okay. Was browsing on midway and came across the Redding Competition LR-1000 powder measure/dump on sale a little over $100 off. Watched some YouTube videos on it and people seem to love it and trust it. It also seems a lot faster being able to just dump and pour instead of waiting on the electronic dumps to trickle and everything. So who's still using manual dumps instead of electronic? Give me some reasons to buy and try it.

Buy it. Reliable, accurate.

I can't give you any reason to use an electronic powder dispenser.

Your Chargemaster Lite is already the best available.

1. they are affected by vibration. Any vibration. Your breathing is a vibration.
2. they are slow to dispense
3. they are expensive
4. they dispense inaccurately

I drop with a Lyman 55, and trickle the last points of a grain in over an electronic scale. I've collected three old orange Lymans over the years, and fitted new perspex tubes. I found one Redding competition without the powder tube, and pvc plumbing pipe helps. Most recently I picked up a pristine RCBS duo-matic.

powder-tree.jpg

Last edited:
I use the RCBS Chargemaster when doing load development and when loading under 100 rounds. For more than 100 I use a Redding BR-30 measure or a Saeco measure.

But it all depends on what philosophy you subscribe to. So people believe that weight is the way to get consistent powder loads. Others use volume as the best method. That debate could go on for months and both have merit.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts