Electronic Powder Dispenser

Giving my wife ideas for Christmas....

What is a good powder dispenser? Not talking the top dog, just a good one that'll do the job.

Thanks for the suggestionsView attachment 111700
If your just reloading ammo there OK but for long range shooting and hunting were you want to shoot the tightest group you can I would not recommend one at all. A simple RCBS scale or Redding will give you a much better measurement than a electronic dropper. Or you can load by volume with a really good powder dropper not the cheap ones.Measure 5 loads with an electronic powder dropper then check the grains of powder weight with a simple scale and you will see the difference.

i 2nd the rcbs 1500. i have two of them and they are great! they are programmable and the only thing you really need to do is the 'straw mod'.

I have used the RCBS and the Hornady extensively. Although I prefer the Hornady, neither one is particularly awesome. Both claim to be accurate to 0.1gr, but neither one is anywhere near that. In fact, no digital scsle I have ever used are reliable. Nothing beats an old fashioned balance beam.

The problem is that the scale reads to 0.1, but the internal electronics are not up to the task. Even though it might say 0.1, it could be as much as 0.3 or 0.4 away from that. I have tried several models of each type comparing against several balance beams and a laboratory grade scale accurate to 0.01 and never found one I like. The references all agree, but the digital scales and powder measures don't. And yes, I have been careful with level, and allowed lots of time for temperature stabilization.

That said, I almost always use my Hornady even when doing load development. I slow the speed down, increase the trickle timing, and set it to throw charges a few tenths lower than I need, then throw that into my favorite balance beam measure and use a manual powder trickler to bring it up to zero. Slower than using a measure, faster than using a scale, but way more accurate and not all that onerous.

Another observation. How well either measure works is extremely dependant on the powder you are measuring. Big grained powders don't work nearly as well as the fine stuff.

Last comment - DON'T LET POWDER GET DOWN IN THE MECHANISM...... Don't ask how I know. .....

Last edited:
I use the PACT scale and powder dispenser. After the unit dispenses the desired charge, I tend to lift the pan off the scale for a few seconds and set it back down to measure again. I'll do this 2 or 3 times to confirm the correct weight. Sometimes it's off by 1 or 2 tenths and I'll adjust accordingly.

A tenth of a grain is not very much. The RCBS and Hornady might have the same behavior.

Don't wish to start a 'thing'. The RCBS scale will float around that 1/10 grain for sure. I use a lab balance to check mine every now and then. It measures to .02 grain. If the RCBS says 35.1 grains it could be 35.01 to 35.19 grains, that's for sure. On big stick powders it is not as good dispensing. However if it is over, it sure tells you. It beeps, gives you the count and then the weight again. If my charge was 35.1 grains and it dropped too much it will say 35.4 or whatever it is. The straw fix is not 100% but it helps a lot. Even powder tricklers can drop more than a grain or two of coarse powder. I also make use of the "cal" function. I also have a very good set of check weights. I won't go back to my RCBS 1010 scale unless there is a power failure, way too slow. On a progressive press I sure use the powder measure, but not for max loads. I will say that I only use the progressive on 223 and pistol loads. I will also say I try to use ball propellant whenever I can.

I have two of the RCBS Chargmaster lite's. As has already been posted, they do vary, especially with longer grain powders. They throw the charge fairly consistently, really not enough to make a difference at 100 /200 yards. However, if I'm loading for long range matches, or working up loads, I will use them to throw the charge slightly under weight, then weigh and trickle up to my load weight on my electronic scale. The nice thing is that with two of them running, I can load 50 rounds this way in probably 1/3 of the time it took me before throwing one charge at a time.

I use the Lyman gen 6 but have been looking to upgrade. It does ok but bad about overcharging and fairly regularly I have to recalibrate as it tends to float back and forth .1-.2 grains.

Here is my take. I use the RCBS charge master. It can and has been off by .1 grains at times. Its an older unit by today's standards. I have had it for 15 years and most of its life it has set powered on. I don't care to turn it off. I calibrate before each run of reloading. That may be 20 rounds or it may be 50 or 5. I also use a balance beam scale to check my charge weights. I mainly use stick powder in all my rifles. Stick powder like retumbo, 4831, 4350, RL26, 4895, and so on. For them that say they weigh to the hundred of a grain I would ask how many kennels does it take to change the weight for 1/10 of a grain on your scale? I know what it takes on mine and whit it takes to make the balance beam read even a lot of time when the charge master is .1 grain under or over. So I would advise the RCBS charge master or the Hornady and get a balance beam to check your powder throws.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.