Effective range

Hey guys-
I don't know where else to post this question, but I figured you guys would know the answer to this, and have some educated opinions. On a 180gr 30 cal bullet, how much energy is required to kill an elk, deer, and black bear. I know that the answer will be different for each animal. I'm just looking at my ballistic card, and trying to figure out my effective range for each animal as far as energy required. Any links to this info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Scott

More important that energy is bullet performance. A 180 FMJ that delivers 2500 pounds of energy meens little. A 180 Soft nose that opens nicely and only delivers 1000 pounds is MUCH more effective than the FMJ with 1.5 times the energy. Energy in ONLY an mathematical equasion. The transfer of energy and damage done due to expansion is WAY more important than energy in and of itself.

Well, I just got an email back from Nosler saying thier hunting Ballistic tips need 1600fps to perform, and the Accubonds need 1800fps. I'm still waiting to hear back from Barnes on thier 180gr 30 cal TSX bullets.

Conventional wisdom says you need 1500lbs of energy for elk and 1000lbs for deer. Although I'm not sure, I would think black bear would be in the same range.

Heed Michael's advice too....energy is one thing. The ability of your bullet to transmit that energy is another. You need the whole package, velocity, energy and proper expansion.

Check the game regulations in the state you want to hunt in. Some like Colorado spell out their minimum requirements that you need to meet - both caliber and energy. Not that I would choose my caliber or load off that. Sometimes I wonder where they come up with that info. The hair brains in Minnesota now say a .223 is a legal caliber. Wouldn't be my choice for a Northern deer.

Make sure you atleast meet the state minimuns. Lots of good advice in what others have posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts