Educate me, please.

rustyrotor

I'm sure this is simple, but right now I'm stumped.
Mainly 'cause I'm just not experienced at this sort of thing.

I just had a good smith install a high end scope on a modest but good shooting rifle.

The scope is a Swarovski Z6, the rifle is a CZ 550.
I supplied the smith with CZ mounts.

Yesterday I took the rifle to the NRA HQ 50 yd indoor range.
After a fair amount of fiddling and head scratching I understood that the
rifle is printing very tightly indeed, albeit 4" low at 50 yds.

I cannot further elevate the scope as it turns out it is maxed out on elevation.

I just don't understand how this can happen, other than some gross dimensional
variation in the mounts which have the scope at a cant.

But the smith is a thorough guy, and I have no reason to doubt that he did as he was supposed to do.

What gives?
What do I do about it?

Diagrams and illustrations welcome!

While I know nothing about CZ mounts specifically there are some rings that are front and back specific. Try switching the ring positions and see if that helps. If not you could try a tapered base or Burris Sig. rings with the inserts.

Chris

The back mount on a cz has a extra tab on it. I don't think you could mix them up. Have you had a dif. scope on it in the same rings.

I had a cheap 1" scope on CZ rings.

It set up easy, shot well right off the bat.
I decided to upgrade the glass and here we are.
Don't I feel an ***.

Will look for that tab.
Don't recall seeing such a thing.

I had already been looking at the Burris rings with the Posi-align.
The 30mm Zee look like exactly what I need.

The only bit am missing is what size that base is designed for.

Anyone know?

The CZ 550 "Dovetailed Square Bridge" is 19mm.

You can see the tab in this picture.
CIMG0073.jpg

Nice gun!

Am at my office right now. Gun's at home.
I am truly drawing a blank.
Regardless, there's only one way that thing will fit.

So unless someone swapped the bits....

How do you like your rifle? What cal/model?
What's it for?

I'm not very experienced but remember reading that when you mount a scope you should center the reticle. To do this you start all the way at one end of your adjustment and then count how many clicks to the other end of the adjustment and the set it at the center of that range. Could this be the problem?

If the gunsmith is close I'd bring it back to him and have him tell you what is wrong and fix it since he it so thorough.

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

learning,

Thanks for the pics, darn sure can't get those rings switched around. I didn't realize the CZ had the base built right in, interesting concept.

Chris

I would take it back to the smith and talk to him about it. But I would also consider getting rid of the rings and going with a better set of rings. You have a decent rifle, very expensive scope and using the cheap rings supplied by the rifle manufacturer. Burris rings w/ the plastic insert are nice for allowing some adjustment and for not scratching the scope.

good luck, mark.

A bit preliminary as the rifle remains a work in progress, but Kudos to CZ-USA.

Before dropping at least $150 buying a 19mm to Weaver adapter and Burris Zees with Posi-Lock, I called CZ Customer Service and explained my problem.

They immediately shipped me a very nice-looking set of Warne QD's for 19mm.
No charge.

The rifle is at the 'smith.

Now, who knows about a screaming deal on 165-168gr .30-06 ammo for zeroing and practice?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.