EDGE shooters

Well....did a little testing. OLD load with Remington 300 Rum brass was 91 Gr H1000 at 2840 FPS. ZERO psi except for a slight cratering of the primer. and got 7 - 8 firings out of the brass before some of the primer pockets started to get loose. They were still usable as there is still a little resistance when seating primers but I was excited to tinker with the new stuff.

Here is a picture of my STARTING loads with the new brass.....89 Gr H1000 at 2835 fps!! Primer pockets are slightly cratered, also. Head space is perfect, and OAL is 4.095 with the 300 Berger Hybrid hunting bullet. Same lot of powder, primers, bullets, die settings...everything. There is obviously a little more neck tension with these as they are new, but no worse that in was with the Rem brass when it was new.

There is obvious full circle ejector marks. I only fired these 3 before I quit. At 89 grains I most certainly do not have an under charge situation, but , on the other hand it shouldn't show this much PSI. I just weighed 3 random, fired cases (with fired primers) from my old lot of Rem and new lot of Bertrom...

Rem...... 280.0, 280.7, and 281.0 Grains (impressive)

Bertrom......284.0, 287.0, 288.5 Grains (not so much)

Pretty much the same.

I cleaned it up after I finished the old loads last month....did a little LR plinking to finish off the rest of the Rem loads....and no PSI was present!!

BOTH H 1000 and RL33 show PSI issues with the Bertrom brass.

Just had a ***...could it be that simple moment....got dressed , and drove down to the shop and checked the brass length. Nope....not it......Old rem brass is 2.875. New brass is 2.845.

Stumped!!

Tod
20180227_185110.jpg

Last edited:
Started with Rem brass 300SMK's and H1000 in my Edge. Have since tried Bertram, Nosler brass, switched to Retumbo, tried Bergers. 500 rounds later I feel I "kinda" have a load.....which will NEVER get much more over 86 grains, no faster than 2700 either. Anything more in my barrel shows pressure.

Tore my hair out a bunch over that rifle and had to finally say it's just gonna be good enough. So far good enough on deer at 750 yards and several other critters at less distance.

I feel your pain. Hope you figure it out.

Also...forgot to mention.....loaded round neck dia.

Bertrom...... .3645

Remington .367

Fired brass measures .371 with the rem and .368 with the Bertrom

Last edited:
Do you have oily chamber?
No. I checked that earlier also. I always finish with a patch wrapped around a chamber mop and a touch of break clean. Clean and dry. Just to be sure, I will check again right now.

Thanks,
Tod

Just checked...no oil....just a touch dirty as I have fired about 10 rounds between the old and new loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.