Edge build....help with barrel & gunsmith

HAMMERHAND

Hello all!! Just bought a .300 win mag from my FIL. Its a nice no frills model 700. The barrel is mag-na-ported, and its a real shooter, but I've long been wanting to build some longer range elk medicine. I love my 8mm Rem mag, but it will never be anything more than say an 800 yard elk gun on its best day because of the lack of high BC bullets (and factory barrel accuracy), so I have decided to keep the 8 mag and shoot the 160 ttsx's that it loves at deer, antelope, and hogs, but go for something in .338 for elk.

I've pretty well settled on the .338 edge or RUM.

Reading some of Mr. Carlock's articles on the cartridge he uses Hart Barrels. What should I be looking for (length, contour, flutes / no flutes, neck, freebore, etc)?

Do I send my magnum action to Hart to have them smith it, or have someone else do it??

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Hart makes great barrels and does great work. Last I spoke to them they had a 42 week wait for a new barrel. Heavy barrels are generally more accurate for multiple shots than a light barrel. In that caliber, most people I know use a 28-30 in barrel, heavy contour with flutes to cut down on some weight.

Hart makes great barrels and does great work. Last I spoke to them they had a 42 week wait for a new barrel. Heavy barrels are generally more accurate for multiple shots than a light barrel. In that caliber, most people I know use a 28-30 in barrel, heavy contour with flutes to cut down on some weight.

When did you talk to them? I just ordered on 2 weeks ago and she said 2 and a half months (10 weeks). Hart makes a great barrel. It used to be 4 weeks. Then guys started to catch on as to how good they were.

What kind of rifle do you want to build?? Whats the "range" your looking to hit? do you hike-hunt much? finished wieght goal?
These are the questions you need to answer befor anybody can recommend a contour.
do you want to keep it fairly light (10lbs 'ish") for hiking or heavy for static shooting (17-20lbs) or something inbetween?
Be good to know the stock that you plan on using too.

Michael,

It has been over a year since I spoke to someone at Hart. I should have clarified, that was to have them do the rebarreling and not just order a barrel.

Lots of good barrel makers out there - most are backlogged 6 mos. or so, depending on what you order and where they are in their production cycle. Most of the large 338 tend to be 28-30" finished length. Contours typically would be MTU/Target, Palma, or Heavy Bull or Varmint. Plan on 16 lbs. rifle. Some do go lighter for a better carry rifle with a hunter type stock (as opposed to a tactical stock).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.