Eberlestock Pack

cavtrooper94

I'm looking into getting an Eberlestock pack but don't know what to get. I am moving to Alaska in the Fairbanks area. I don't know what kind of trips I will be able to afford so I'm looking for a pack that will support a DIY hunt and allow me to pack out a Moose. I'm open to not only the hunting versions but also the military versions, as I could use it at work. What do you guys think.

Thanks Much

"SCOUTS OUT"

There's a bunch of guys on here that use the Eberlestock packs, so you'll get some good feed back..

I use the J-34 pack and am extremely happy with it. I've used it on Sheep hunts in Alaska and also for packing all my gear to some long range hunting spots in other parts of the counrty. It will expand to pack meat, but you'll have to make a few trips to get the old swamp donkey out of the bush.:)

The Eberlestock packs are great! I am still using the J105 and have packed out several critters with it. So far the pack has held up really good. The only complaint I have is they are not very waterproof so the rain cover is a must.

Between my friends and I we have a J107M, J104, J34 a Blue widow a mini-me, and a drag bag from Eberlestock.

I have the J107 in cordura nylon, very tough but it is a few ounces heavier. I have a super spike duffle a rain cover, and the medic pouch clipped to the pack. The 107 has a much stronger pack frame which you may want for the type of trip you are talking about. I packed 108 pounds out 2 years ago with mine, my back and shoulders were fine, but it took a few days before my legs were back to normal... I try and keep my pack around 80 pounds on steep ground now.

I pack much of my camp in the duffle, and drop off the duffle and top lid when I set up camp. Then I hunt with just the main pack.

The 104 is ok, but the frame is just a sheet in the back, and is not as good at handling a heavy load. The one my friend has is not adjustable for back length, if it fits you thats good, if not, well it's not that nice on your back.

The 34 is the same pack, but with an adjustable back length and a few other small touches. The 104 and 34 have been used several times to haul camp in and game out. Tough packs but I prefer the frame system in the 107.

How much gear are you going to take and how long are you going to stay out? You may even want a bigger pack like a sky crane if you are going to be out more than a week.

I doubt I'll ever get to go for over a week. Thanks for the insight. thats exactly what I was looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.