Eberlestock Gunslinger Packing Help/Advise

SES50

I bought a Gunslinger a month or two ago and am heading up for a scouting trip to try things out this weekend. It will be a three day trip so of course I need to pack a sleeping back. Hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to get a sleeping back stapped on or put into this small pack. When I put the sleeping bag on the bottom of the pack it pivots and moves around the mount loacations and I just do not like the way it sits. I am heading to REI tonight to see if I can find a small diameter stuff sack which would mean I could strap it under the upper flap. Anyone else run into a similar situation?

Thanks
SES50

Is the bag bulky=synthetic ?? if so i'd lash it onto the outside of the pack-down low .
If it's a down bag that will compress well i'd find a place for it in the top of the pack.

I have an X-1 pack and my way of packing is to keep the heavier items low and close to your lower back area [riding on your hips] ,then place the light fluffy stuff up high , that way the pack isn't top heavy.

It will take some expierimenting w/ the pack and how -you- like to carry it-.
One thing about the eberlestock packs is they tend to not let you pull the compression straps in tight -if you do pull them in tight you will have trouble getting your rifle in and out of the scabbard because the items inside will crush the scabbard area inward.
Just do some shake down loadings w/ it and see what works the best ,but remember to keep the weight low so it is riding on your hips that way it won't feel top heavy and wear you out.
Having low bulk items is just as important as having lightweight items -bulky things on the outside of the pack -snagging on limbs and stuff will grade on your nerves.
Try to get everything inside the pack ,maybe a closed cell foam/z-rest on the outside =can't hurt them much ,plus they make a good drop and flop item to rest on.
Let us know how you progress -Mike

So this is a Synthetic bag and I did put it into a compression stuff stack, but still could not get it small enough to get it into the backpack. I have been doing some research and am finding what Ol Mike is talking about. Down compresses alot more than synthetic. So, since this synthetic bag is pretty well worn I am probably going to go buy a Down bag tonight. That should compress down a lot more than the bag I have. Then I should be able to get it inside the backpack.

Thanks
SES50

The trip went great. I am actually happy I had the Gunslinger and not a bigger pack. A bigger pack would just allow more stuff to be packed in it. I ended up going and buying a +20* down sleeping bag from REI. I can not believe how much smaller it compressed than my synthetic bag. We had a great trip. It was 8.5 miles in the first day with alot of elevation gain and loss. The Gunslinger worked great but there was alot of adjustments being made on the way in. We spotted deer on Sunday morning and evening and did a day hike up 1000 ft in about .9 miles to the lake above our camp. The hike out was alot more comfortable as I had the pack adjusted and was not screwing around with it the entire hike. All and all we saw one decent buck and were surprised that all the bucks we did see were still in velvet. Hopefully when we go up there in another week they will be out. Anyway thanks for the advise and I hope your hunting season go well.

SES50

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts