easy to do finish for stainless steel barrels

AZShooter

I do my own barrel threading and chambering. I have struggled with stainless barrels getting scratched or lightly marred during the machining processes or when taken hunting.

I don't own a bead blasting machine so in the past I had someone do it for me. Usually the finish gets marred over time. It requires disassembly of the barrel from the action if I were to bead blast it again. Quite frankly it is a pita.

Yesterday I came up with a finish that is very appealing and easy to dress up after some abuse. I used a scotch brite heavy duty pad! I simply rotated the pad and barrel by hand to yield a nice dull luster.

I am so impressed with the look and ease of maintenance, I thought I'd share this with my fellow rifle lovers here. I am sure others have done this but figured it is worth sharing.

Before and after? Too late for the before pic.... I can't get photo bucket to work anymore. If someone can suggest a way to send it from my I-phone I'd show an after pic

Scotch Brite type abrasive pads are used to give SS kitchen sinks that brushed look.

Really, this is a very easy to keep up finish. Just hit it with the same grit pad when it starts to show some blemishes.

I like Mirka Mirlon abrasive pads for a lot of stuff as the grit seams to be very consistent and the pads seem to be softer, more conforming and less of a stiff plastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.