Eastern Washington

johnnyk

Appears that I'll be moving to the Washington "Tri-Cities" area in the near future (Aug-Sept). Any good places to hunt/shoot LR? Job will also have me traveling to and through NE Oregon, Idaho and Montana. JohnnyK.

Last edited:
You landend in longrange shooting heaven! There is a 1000 yard range in Benton city which is within a half hour of Richland, its near the Hanford site. The range is called Rattlesnake Mountain, http://www.tcsa.info/ . They have a real nice modern range for every type of shooting imaginable. Rattlesnake Mountain holds Palma/F-Class shooting at 800-900-1000 yards which I am particularly interested in. There is also other matches such as 50BMG benchrest, some members told me they are trying to get a bench set up at one MILE! when I was at the big 50 match. I live in Pendleton,OR which is another hour away from TRI-Cities. The next closest longe range is in Baker,OR near the Interpretive center called the Powder River Sportsmans Club. Holding monthly 1000 yard benchrest matches. Vale Oregon which is 11 miles West of Ontario (Oregon & Idaho border on I-84) Two miles South of vale is another 1000 yard range Called the Snake River Sportsmans Club. I shot in my first F-class match there saturday thats pretty much what this range is set up for.

Range Officer

If you plan on shooting at Rattlesnake shooting facility it would be wise to become a range officer. It means dedicating at least two or three days a year to help run the range, helping in a match or just monitoring the public 100 yard range. They will give you the keys to the place you may enter anytime not just weekends. They hold a class for range officers, there is a list of contacts on the webpage to find out who runs them. I am thinking about doing this, just haven't had time yet.

I will actually be a resident scale technician, working out of the home, setting own hours and schedule. The range officer job sounds very intesting. I will definately look in to that also. Thanks again, for the info. JohnnyK.

johnnyk:

Looks like you're going to land right in the middle of the warm country. Not too many trees around the Tri-Cities but its a great place and with the 3 cities there's lots of places to shop and things to do. It seems to be a constantly growing area.

The good thing, in addition to the shooting that you already know is available to you, is that you won't be far from the Blues, the Cascades, Oregon or even Idaho. So shooting and or hunting shouldn't be a problem.:)

Sounds like you've got a good job and already have some good shooting spots lined up, so now you just need to explore all of the new stuff.

Welcome to Washington:):D:)

Don't think it'll be any warmer than it is in NC. At least there won't be as much humidity. Looking forward to this adventure. Thanks for all the support guys. JohnnyK.

Don't bet on it. It was 105-108 degrees in Moses Lake last week and we are 70 miles north of the Tri-Cities! The Tri-Cities are often a few degrees warmer.

Hanford, just outside of the Tri-Cities, often posts some of the highest temps in the country outside of Death Valley and a few spots in Arizona.

But it is a DRY heat!:)

Bill

Yeah, I've heard it's called the Washington "desert" in this area. I think the change of scenery/latitude will do my family and I good. Does this mean I'll have to re-work loads up for my rifle(s) because of the differences in atmospheric conditions?
I had an offer to move to the Texas, Ft. Worth area but couldn't convince the wife. She kept saying "we can't move to an area just because the hunting is good!" I told here she was right, there's got to be a little shooting in there somewhere!! LOL! I was trying to psych her up for the Arizona, New Mexico area when this Washington job came up. I told her about all the game out there and believe it or not she said I'd probably need a bigger rifle. I just about fell out! What a woman.
I am so ready! JohnnyK.

For those of us who live here, the wide open vistas and the beauty of the desert make up for the lack of trees and green, but it is a BIG change from the South East.

I'm a South Carolinean born and bred, but the NorthWest is home now.

I'd pick the TriCities over Dallas-Fort Worth area every time, though I have lived in Texas and could live there again, just not in the DFW area.

As for re-working loads, I'm not sure, I've never made that kind of move!

The TriCities is a great area, good schools, lots of growth.

We are going to have to have a Long Range Hunting Saturday, and all meet somewhere!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.