Dye brass to keep lots separated

Randy Tidwell

OK, I am very anal when it comes to reloading. I keep brass separated by lots.

The other day I screwed up and mixed two lots (400 cases) of Lapua 6BR for my Silo Pistol, grrrrrrrrr.

I just spent 4 hours sorting them by weight. The two lots were 1 to1 1/2 grs different, so it was just a matter of weighing them.

I have searched in the past for a way to permently dye or color brass without much luck.

Sharpie doesn't work, comes off in the tumbler :(

Has anyone found an easy way to color their brass without messing with the metallurgy?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I also use sharpie. I dont tumble the lots together though. That's the best I've come up with. The sealer for primers use to be in the cabelas reloading catalogue. But when you deprime that's going to go away. Maby you need 2 tumblers for the large volume so you can keepem separate.

I have 3) creedmoors 3) 6.5prc and 2) 300 ultras

It gets very confusing.

My normal routine is to use a Jones hand decapping tool on one lot, leave primer in second lot.

This time I decapped the first lot, thru them in the tumbler. Got interrupted (wife), when I came back to it, I started decapping second lot. Thru them in the tumbler before I realized they were all deprimed...Grrrrrrrrr

Won't do that again..

I've knotched brass before, still a pain to separate. I've used bright fingernail polish to fill the head stamp also.

Hoping to find something to permantly stain the brass about half way up the body.

Thx for the input guys, love this site!

Micro stamping the base with a fast and adaptable laser is fairly effective.

Not familiar with that process?
Basically, the right laser engraver that is designed for sequential part numbering... you can take a box of brass oriented base-up, and assign them serial numbers or markings with a laser engraver. The engraver will etch them all how you want, where you want. Just like a headstamp, except not bunted... engraved.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts