Duck Dinner

Orange Dust

Dinner from last night. Chicken fried duck breast with raspberry gravy, oven roasted asparagus, long grain rice risotto, and black eyed peas. Wife had Freakshow Cab with it and I had sweet tea. Great meal. Posted because I went to a cooking class the other day and learned among other things how to make fantastic risotto out of plain rice. Did not know you could do that. I always thought you had to use special risotto rice or a kit. Actually plain rice is better, but takes an hour to cook. Never too old to learn something new. Here's how you make it:
Chop a yellow onion and put it in a big pan with 1/4 stick of butter and a wooden spoonful of chopped garlic. Cook on medium until onion is clear. Turn up the fire and add 1 cup of rice. Cook until you start to see hints of brown on the rice. Add a half a cup of white wine. When absorbed add a cup of chicken broth and stir and stir often. When all is absorbed add another and another until you have added 6 cups of broth. that's right 6 cups to one cup of plain rice. Then add a splash of heavy cream and whatever toppings you like. Turn off the fire and let it set maybe 5 minutes while you are getting everything else together. This makes the best Risotto I have ever had. I was astounded that you could get 1 cup of rice to absorb that much liquid and that one cup would make so much rice. Play with the toppings and make it your own. This stuff is a must with and wild game, especially if you are having company.
Duck dinner.jpg