Dry Spell ends with a double

BigMo

After a not so eventfull deer season I started making a few stands the last couple weekends
but I have had no luck until today. I headed to a good looking spot this morning and just as
day light broke I parked the truck and headed over the hill.
547812_138_full.jpg

Picture of the area
The spot looked good but with a dozen or more stands behind me with no takers I did not have
much confidence. The wind was right to left and would give my "Texas Twister" decoy plenty
of movement. I placed it out about 40 yards just off to my right hoping it would keep critters
attention focused just up wind of me.
547812_142_full.jpg

Broken out cedar top was my stand site
After 15 minute of the Wah-wah-wa Jackrabbit Blues bellered out of my old Weems Wild Call I see
Mr. Coyote standing 250 yards away down the draw just outside of a row of cedars. Then I see
another pop out just behind him.....now my heart starts to pound in my chest as the thought
of finally breaking my dry spell crosses my mind. After a minute pause both yotes begin to
trot my way. They closed the range to about 150 yards and came to a stop again. Both coyotes
seemed puzzled by the Twister not sure if they wanted to come closer..... I decided that was close enough.
547812_139_full.jpg

I first spoted the coyotes just past the far cedar in the picture and the first one was shot just infront of the cedar that is closer and standing out of the line just to the right.
I leveled the 22-250 up on my cross sticks and shot the front yote square in the chest....he was down in a flash.
I began to bark as loud as I could as the other yote was tearing up the country side headed
out of the area. To my surprize after covering a couple hundred yards he slowed to a trot and
then just stopped to look back at me from just below the crest of the hill. I lined up the 22-250
and sent a 55 grain Seirra Gameking on its way and to my surprize he folded up and hit the
dirt. He got back up but did not get 25 yards before it was all over. My aim was either off in
the hurry or maybe the wind got it some I don't know but my dry spell ended with a bang.
This is only my second double EVER. :)
547812_143_full.jpg

Both males in pretty good shape other than all the burrs.
I made 3 more stands before calling it a day. The wind really picked up and it just seemed
useless, so with this pair I called it a day.

Pics of equipment

I will try to get a few photos of the equipment after this weekends hunt.
The shooting sticks and decoy are both home brews. I hunt off a stool so
I had to make extra high shooting sticks. All the store bought ones left me
wanting more so I just made a pair.
3/8 diamiter replacement tent pole from Wally World :D

I hunt in NE Texas and SE Oklahoma. That country in the photos is Texas.

congrats on the double, but a word of caution.....the more you call up, the more you want to go, so just warn the family that they may not see you until it starts getting warmer out there. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.