Drop Charts

magedon44

Hey guys im new to the forum and im trying to wrap my head around the MOA and 1/4 clicks with turret adjustments. I have read some articals and youtube vids. I would like to see some examples of your click charts that you tape to your gun so i can see exactly how you guys do it in the field, im not sure how many yard incriments i should make my drop chart for. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Hey guys im new to the forum and im trying to wrap my head around the MOA and 1/4 clicks with turret adjustments. I have read some articals and youtube vids. I would like to see some examples of your click charts that you tape to your gun so i can see exactly how you guys do it in the field, im not sure how many yard incriments i should make my drop chart for. Any help would be great. Thanks!

The general method is to use a ballistic program to generate the data. Some programs print the charts. You have to decide on the precision you need and what you want to take into account.

Minimum data you need is the muzzle velocity of the bullet, the bullet BC, the height of the scope over the bore, and the zero distance. You can make one chart for the average conditions you shoot or make multiple charts for air density and perhaps temperature if your muzzle velocity changes with temperature. Only you can decide what distance increments will allow you to interpolate between range increments in your head. The chart should have enough resolution that reading it doesn't introduce errors larger than your gun shoots. 50 yard increments are typical for hunting rifle out to maybe 800 yards. Generally the chart should also give wind deflection in clicks per MPH or per 10 MPH for each range. Again get that from the ballistic program.

The most important part is to verify that the chart is correct with shooting tests at your zero, an intermediate range, and at the max range on the chart ( still well supersonic). If the drop is right you can assume the wind deflection is correct too.

This page as several online calculators you can use to generate ballistics tables and various styles of range cards. The output is only as good as the data you give it, so don't guess at input values. Don't use program default values unless you know they're correct.

JBM - Calculations

I keep my charts really simple. This is a chart for the 190gr Berger using a 06. I also do a chart with 3 columns the third showing the drops with a 30 degree slope. I just tape it to the butt of the stock. Covered with Scotch tape it will last a season.

The left column is yardage the right is MOA. This one is for a 100 yard zero.

Drop Chart #2.JPG

If you have a smart phone you can find ballistic programs in the apps. I use a few different programs and remember that they are not perfect and you still have to shoot to verify the drop.

Welcome to LRH!

In case you are unaware there is a free ballistic calculator on this site that is top notch! It is a great learning tool where you can play with your personal info and fine tune all the different variable and the outputs. It is a great way to get a solid understanding of external ballistics.

Long Range Hunting Ballistics Calculator

Below is an very simple chart format.

Scot E.

Attachments

• 3006 150gr SST Factory Load Data Card.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 99
Heres my sample....worked up real quick in EXCEL, its easy to re-print and replace as needed. depending on the temp and elevation they change some out past 1,000. Wind is a full value 10 MPH and I can adjust from there as need.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.