driving myself crazy with scope selection, help!

I just bolted my second Burris XTR II 5x25 on a rifle over Christmas Holidays. I love these Burris and for the money I don't think the can be beat.

I have NF NXS 5-22.5 that is for sure super nice but I'm starting to get a real liking for the SFP scopes.

I also have a couple Vortex PST and again for the money they are nice scopes, second to the Burris and Burris is second to NF but with each jump in quality you also jump in price.

Bang for the buck, I like the Burris XTR II SCR reticle :D:D

With a 1k cap 16x is fine for anything over groundhog size. Shooting 2" water turtles at 1k? Get a 25+. Honestly for big game a NF 3x15NXS I had was probably as good as anything as a COMPROMISE of SR and LR.
IMHO any of these ranges and scopes will work for you. They demand adjustments to suit their particular niche but I have shot big game out PAST 1k with a straight 10x, 3x15, 4x16, 5.5x22 6x18 6x24 8x32 12x42 and THEY ALL WORKED FINE.
Never missed BECAUSE of a scope. Missed plenty due to my USAGE of a particular scope.
For LRH I have used the following systems
Pure D Kentucky elevation.
Shepherd.
Dial.
Dial with custom turret.
Mil.
Mil+custom turret.
SFP. Sight in a 3 or 5.5 NF on 1st hash and then run the MOA on the high end.
FFP. Self explanatory.

I'm even using a bloody Burris Eliminator III right now. Terrible glass, terribly UGLY, terribly heavy but its an incredibly fast system for mid range out to 1200 or so. Time from sighting game to shot can be under 2 seconds. Try that with a separate rangefinder and scope.

Point is....THEY ALL WORK GREAT if you spend the time to become comfortable with them and get used to running on autopilot when using them.

If you don't you will make a silly mistake and hate the scope because YOU forgot what power it was on or whatever other essential steps are a necessity in the SYSTEM you are using.

I think you will be BEYOND happy owning any of the stuff you mentioned if you use it enough for it to become second nature. Enjoy that rig you are building and know that any of those scopes will do the job every time if you do.

That's gonna depend on how many times you want to buy....once or..............??

Once, preferably :) my wife asked me when I started this venture "how many more times are you going to say you are finally satisfied with your setup". Well, this will be attempt 3 for me since Jan 2016 for a rifle/scope :rolleyes: (full disclosure I didn't put much..if any, thought into my previous setups. More of a impulse...ohhh shiny object, look at that CA carbon gun looks fun, ohh look something new and exciting from vortex etc)

Toddc - I had a NXS on another rig and I managed to bump/move the windage turret while chasing dogs, which equated to hitting a little further back than I was aiming, but on a coyote it really didn't much matter as he died either way. But that experience (lesson learned) made me gun shy about it happening again when i am much more mobile in the mountains. Yes I know that good practice/habit should learn me to check that as well, but being completely honest it's just one more thing I would rather not do when the time comes in the field. Thank you by the way for all that info, take away is that you personally feel 16x is OK for 1k, which I appreciate the feedback on.

Last edited:
Once, preferably :) my wife asked me when I started this venture "how many more times are you going to say you are finally satisfied with your setup". Well, this will be attempt 3 for me since Jan 2016 for a rifle/scope :rolleyes: (full disclosure I didn't put much..if any, thought into my previous setups. More of a impulse...ohhh shiny object, look at that CA carbon gun looks fun, ohh look something new and exciting from vortex etc)

Toddc - I had a NXS on another rig and I managed to bump/move the windage turret while chasing dogs, which equated to hitting a little further back than I was aiming, but on a coyote it really didn't much matter as he died either way. But that experience (lesson learned) made me gun shy about it happening again when i am much more mobile in the mountains. Yes I know that good practice/habit should learn me to check that as well, but being completely honest it's just one more thing I would rather not do when the time comes in the field. Thank you by the way for all that info, take away is that you personally feel 16x is OK for 1k, which I appreciate the feedback on.
I like 24 the MOST for 1k but 15x is plenty for big game and as a much better field of view.
Everything in optics is a compromise.

scottyboy,

I much prefer the second focal plane in a scope. You mentioned you don't need a large field of view so you should not limit yourself to something like a 4-16X. Even my .22 carries a 6-24X. I have not bee a turret twister for a few years. I bought a mildot scope and fiddled with different magnification settings and using different dots. If something is far enough away I usually have time to play with the settings. My scope tops out at 30X.

"i recently placed an order for my first custom build and while all those details are now ironed out - - its on to the scope i will be putting on this rig. it will be 100% a 'hunting rifle', i will not be using it for bench rest competitions or anything along those lines (although i might partake in the occasional / recreational PRS type thing)

what i am struggling with is the "ideal magnification", which i know is subjective. my rifle will be chambered in 300WM and the farthest i can shoot here in Minnesota is 1000 yards, so that is where i am going to cap myself for obvious reasons on shooting in the field."

What are the specs of your build? barrel contour, length, stock, etc...
as others have mentioned, the bit 5-25 will be pretty top heavy on a 7-8 lb. rifle.

I can tell you from experience, 16x will not limit you at 1000 yds. Also, if you're shooting at the range in the summer months, mirage is a big issue at higher magnifications.

I really like my 4-16 F1 ATACR for all around use. Was able to spot my hits at 1k just last week on painted steel.

Where are you at in MN?

"i recently placed an order for my first custom build and while all those details are now ironed out - - its on to the scope i will be putting on this rig. it will be 100% a 'hunting rifle', i will not be using it for bench rest competitions or anything along those lines (although i might partake in the occasional / recreational PRS type thing)

what i am struggling with is the "ideal magnification", which i know is subjective. my rifle will be chambered in 300WM and the farthest i can shoot here in Minnesota is 1000 yards, so that is where i am going to cap myself for obvious reasons on shooting in the field."

What are the specs of your build? barrel contour, length, stock, etc...
as others have mentioned, the bit 5-25 will be pretty top heavy on a 7-8 lb. rifle.

I can tell you from experience, 16x will not limit you at 1000 yds. Also, if you're shooting at the range in the summer months, mirage is a big issue at higher magnifications.

I really like my 4-16 F1 ATACR for all around use. Was able to spot my hits at 1k just last week on painted steel.

Where are you at in MN?

About 60 miles west of the twin cities. Build will be a 300win mag, stiller action, McMillan stock (not one of the everyday models, my builder collaborated with McMillan to produce their own flavor of stock/design...so i am not sure on the weight), carbon fiber bbl (i forget the contour off hand, but enough to have threaded 5/8-24 for a can) at 24"

right now I think I'm going to flip a coin between the ATACR 4-16 or the X5 in 3.5-18. Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I have everything from a March optic, to NF, Burris, and now Steiner.

My 2015 build was a 300 WSM...it has a Manners Elite LR stock, a Bartlein GAP #6, Bighorn action, NF Ultralite rings, and I topped it with a NF ATACR 5-25 (Gen 2) scope. It comes in around 12 pounds. OK for short walks, or 2-3 mile walks if you are in shape. Its perfect for an 800 or 900 yard shot if I want it with limited recoil and great stability especially with a bipod or sticks. Not so great for any kind of offhand shot because its 12 pounds.

My 2016 build is on its way in, it has the same stock, a Bartlein #3B in 7WSM, Alpha II action, and will wear either a March or a Steiner scope in 50 or 52mm.
It should save about 2-2.5 pounds over my 300 WSM setup because of the barrel and scope choice.. I walked a ton on my last Elk hunt, and I definitely wanted something in the 9-10 pound range with enough meat in the barrel to not heat up after 2-3 shots and be a bit easier to carry for longer hikes. It will be a much better rifle for quick shots because of the weight, but its still heavy enough to bang out a 700 yard shot off a bipod or sticks with accuracy.

Me personally...I won't go under the Bartlein 3B for a rifle I plan on using for long range stuff. Thats just me. I prefer a little bit of weight to my LR setups mainly because of the magnum recoil.

Lots of guys sweat the details over trying to get down to a 7 pound rifle, when in reality if you are Elk hunting or on a hunt where you have to move or hike...you are better off spending a little time in the gym. If you are in decent shape 2 pounds up into a 9 pound rifle isn't a factor one way or the other.

So again, the Burris, NF, March, Steiner, etc will work fine and are all pretty **** close glass wise if you are willing to pay the extra price for the right stock AND adjust your barrel size or barrel type for the kind of hunting you want to do.

Lots of guys sweat the details over trying to get down to a 7 pound rifle, when in reality if you are Elk hunting or on a hunt where you have to move or hike...you are better off spending a little time in the gym. If you are in decent shape 2 pounds up into a 9 pound rifle isn't a factor one way or the other.

So again, the Burris, NF, March, Steiner, etc will work fine and are all pretty **** close glass wise if you are willing to pay the extra price for the right stock AND adjust your barrel size or barrel type for the kind of hunting you want to do.

Obviously you are not a 5'7" 150 pound man in his seventies. My carry rifle used to be eleven pounds. I never noticed the weight until about ten years ago. About when I could no longer do one handed pull ups.

I own an ATAC-R, G7, and recently purchased the a March 2.5x25x52, all 2nd FP. All three are excellent scopes with personal preference playing a key role in which one is chosen. While I have not yet had a chance to hunt with my more recently purchased March, all three scopes have been shot extensively and tested for turret accuracy, optical quality, etc. all proving to be excellent, My hunting consists of an equal balance of sitting and carry, with hunting shots from 50 yards to 1000+. While less important to some, I consider the weight and balance of my hunting rig to be an important factor. While there are distinguishing features between these scopes, IMO, weight and bulk is a primary difference.
All three scopes are excellent in terms of optical quality with the ATAC-R and March being less prone to chromatic aberration, and a bit better in low light over the G7. I will say that looking through the ATAC-R with its combination of great glass, 34mm tube and larger objective, there is a noticeable difference in the visual expanse of the sight picture compared to the other two scopes. The trade off of the ATAC-R and to a lesser extent with the G7 is the weight and bulk. For this reason I have my ATAC-R mounted on my heavier ELR rifle in 300WM for which weight and bulk is not of primary concern, and the optical quality well taken advantage of for those long shots. While the G7 isn't as heavy as the ATAC-R and well featured for LR hunting it is still bulkier then I prefer. I ended up switching my G7 with a Huskemaw 5x20 on my go to LR rig which is comparable in features and performance, but sized and weighted perfectly for my 10.5# Cooper in 6.5x284.
Thus the recent purchase of the March 2.5x25x52. It is sized and weighted just about the same as the Huskemaw. The ED glass is superb and it has some attractive features. For hunting, the parallax/focus, much like the Huskemaw is a fast ratio design, while too sensitive to some, for me, is faster to use when pressed for time. Both NF scopes have a long, slow ratio which IMO are vague and time consuming to adjust. The March MP3 reticle is calibrated for 20X (2MOA), and 10X(4MOA), and is nicely weighted at .080" thickness. I would have preferred the NF MOA or G7 reticle(my favorite for hunting) but it's not a big deal. The March turrets have a great feel and aren't obtrusive. The zero stop on the March is IMO, one of the best designs. Overall quality and workmanship is on par with the NF. I'm anxious to see how it works in the field next hunting season.

I am looking pretty hard at that same march for my first foray into high dollar optics. I like to hear it compares favorably with the atacr as that is the other on my list. I have shot through a few and my only complaint was the MOAR reticle. March scopes don't grace the shelves around here but I have never heard a bad thing about them. I like the lighter weight of the march as it may change guns during hunting season.

Now, I currently shoot a .260 in long range competition (longrange steel and 1k f-class) with a vortex viper hs-t in 4-16x44 and dont have problems bringing home ribbons (no f-class ribbons yet). The only time I feel outclassed is when I shoot other guys rifles with atacr's and gen ii razors then go back to mine. I catch a bit of gruff from the other guys on the line for shooting a starter scope on a competition rifle, I paid more for my barrel than the scope. It also looks a little funny on top of a bartlein #9 but it gets the job done.

Long story short, I don't think you are limited at 1k with 16x magnification. I would look at the March mentioned above if you have a chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.