drew NM mule deer unit 32

Get a good map and make sure you stay on the right side of the fence. Lots of private land in that unit can sure get a guy in trouble if he doesn't know where he is.

There's lots of deer west of hwy 13 to the unit boundary, but not much size. Check out twin butte road, well i think thats its name anyway. Also north of pine lodge road around verbena road is some good country. Didn't see as many deer there, but have heard there's some good ones.

As said above get a land status map and stay on the public. A lot of times there is no fence.
The best aid I have found for that is the NM land ownership maps offered here at the gear shop. A decent GPS with topo's and land status that are cross referenced with a paper map in the field might keep you in the clear. That combo has also helped me access some pretty "hidden" hunting areas.

Hope this helps. I moved away from that area recently, so I have no problem sharing what I've learned.

Where ya from?

Good luck with the hunt!

Hey ichase didnt know you had replied. I went that year didnt go last but nm took the 290 off my card so maybe drew. Thanks for the tips ill look on the map to see where your talking about. We hunted near little haystack a couple of bucks were taken but nothing to write home about. Except for the evening before season all i seen was does.

I live near fort worth so its a drive and a half to head out that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.