NM unit 23 Deer

o2bwest

If all goes according to plan I am going to draw a deer tag for unit 23. Can anyone tell me anything about the unit? How are the deer?

I use to hunt 24 pretty hard just to the east. Lots of deer around Silver City and over in the Burro Mnts. but that might be excluded from 23, have to check the rules. Drove down the highway one night from Reserve and there were tons of deer feeding on the grass next to the highway. Glad none of them decided to take on the car.

Also if you get a general tag you might run into a Coues whitetail. Some areas down there they separate whitetail and mulie tags so you get one or the other. Some tags are good for any forked antler deer. Good luck on the draw and results are on the web.

When is your hunt? I drew an elk archery tag down there so I should do some scouting before September and I can tell you what I see for deer. Also if anybody has any pointers for elk in that unit I sure will listen. They will be PM's as my daughter and I get to hunt deer in 13 again with the smoke pole.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.