DOUBLE K Guide's in Gergory, SD

ACassaro

1st post in here, I am going to Gergory, SD with 3 friends on a Prairie Bearshield Dog Hunting trip May 17th -20th. This hunt will take place on the Rosebud Reservation according to Dave Keiser of Double K Outfitters. This will be the frist time any of us have done this and hope to have a good time. I will be taking a RRA 24in Varmint A4, topped with a Nikon 6-18X40, a Bushmaster 20in Varmiter topped with a Nikon 4.5-14X40, & a Savage 112 300WM topped with a Vortex PST 6-24X50.

What should I expect, has anyone been here before?

Thanks for all your help.

Angelo

Anybody got any input on PD Hunting in South Dakota in May. What about the Rosebud Reservation?

Here are the Rifles I am taking, Any advice?

Savage 112 300WM
IMG_0652.jpg

RRA Varmint A4
IMG_0657.jpg

Bushmaster
IMG_0649.jpg

What do you think

Angelo

Be ready for the wind - there will be times when it drives you nuts. Been a while since I've been there but you can expect a lot of shooting. The weather is your biggest challenge.

Can't give any advice,.... going for the first time myself,....NW of Pierre SD, In the first week of June.
Nice looking rigs,

I'm taking Savage 93 17Hmr with VXII 4-12x40
RRA Coyote rifle with nikon 3-9X40
RRA ATH with Zeiss conguest 3-9X40 and SD3G trigger
Browning micro hunter .243 with Zeiss conquest 3-9x50 mildot
Wincheste coyote .243 with sightron SIII 4-16x44

Make sure you rotate guns, especially the ar's you can put a lot of rounds out if you don't limit yourself!

In my opinion, you'll quickly discover that your .300 WM is not well suited to prairie dog fields. The gun itself will do a fine job, but you're not going to be able to maintain sight picture and see the action. Watching your hits is the best part.

Your ARs will do a fine job in that regard. What kind of shooting bench are you using? I learned early on that a rotating bench is very nice to have in prairie dog fields. They're not mandatory, and I went without one for two or three trips, but now I wouldn't ever want to go back.

I had one experience on the Rosebud. We hired a local "guide" who took us out to places that had seen a LOT of pressure. The dogs dove into their holes at the first sight of a vehicle and stayed down for very long periods of time. The vast majority of our shooting took place at 400+ yards, and even then a few shots would send those dogs into their holes. I hope that your experience is significantly better than mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.