Donor action or custom

PEEWEE69

Probably been asked before but here it goes
Someone has put pencil to paper on cost and efficiency between a donor action and a custom
Now this is not a action already owned it would be a rifle bought just for the action then have it blueprinted or just go custom from a money and accuracy stand point
Also this is a left hand build

Someone has put pencil to paper on cost and efficiency between a donor action and a custom
Now this is not a action already owned it would be a rifle bought just for the action then have it blueprinted or just go custom from a money and accuracy stand point

Custom unless you do it off a Savage.

Well for a lefty the Savage is really my only option that can be customized
Yes you do have the Remy but alot of work to get true then there's the Tika not many smith's work on them

What's your budget for the rifle build?

I'm looking to build 2 different rigs one is a 270wsm because I want it 2nd is a 338 edge as far as price somewhere between 3and 4K no glass

I'm looking to build 2 different rigs one is a 270wsm because I want it 2nd is a 338 edge as far as price somewhere between 3and 4K no glass

You can build an Edge on a Savage, but without Hurculean efforts it will be a single shot. I researched this recently (there is a thread on it), and elected to go R700 pattern so I can have a repeater. If the choice is between blueprinting a donor or a custom, I'd say go with a custom (Stillers are about $1K) unless you already own the donor. I'm saving money by barreling with a McGowen Remage barrel and nut, so while I'm paying more for the action overall it's probably cheaper due to no smith costs. And the Stiller action already has a pinned lug, which makes assembling the Remage much easier.

For the 270 WSM, depending what you want to do with it, I'd go Savage or Remage. Some people just don't like profits but mine are as accurate as I can shoot them…1/3 MOA and sometimes better should be sufficient for a hunting gun.

As for cost…my current Savage build…
Donor - $400
New bolt head - $25
Barrel - $483 (Shilen)
Recoil lug - $33
Bases - had them
Rings - had them
XLR chassis - $525
Total without glass - $1466

I assemble using a homemade action vise made from a couple threaded rods and 2X6s.

One could get the cost down even further going with other barrel or stock options. If you go Savage for a WSM, you will want a large shank action. So they are harder to find.

toddc why do you say custom unless using a Savage?

Because if you buy a stock Remington action, it has to be trued + pay for the barrel install. By the time you have a stock Remmy trued you could have bought a custom that wont need trued.
If you use a Savage as a donor you can slap a prefit on it and home true it.
The other option is to buy a custom and slap a prefit on it as a Remage style build.

A trued Remmy will cost about the SAME as a custom action AND will be worth less than the custom will be. . A Savage can be built for well under $1k since you will have a $0 smith bill.

A home built Savage will MOST LIKELY shoot under .5 MOA all of the ones I have built have.
The following budgets don't include bottom metal or clips since that is so variable and can be $0-$500.
Remmy budget

Donor $400
Trigger $150+
Barrel $400
Stock $200
Lug $40
Smith bill $500-1000

Savage
Donor $400
Barrel $400
Stock $200
Lug $40
Trigger Free

Custom should come with lug
Action $1000
Trigger $150+
Barrel $400
Stock $200
Smith $250

As you can see the Remmy CAN cost the most AND its still a stock rig. Build a Savage yourself or buy a custom
IMHO anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.