Does Weatherby brass hold more powder

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am kinda a wimp when it comes to reloading. I am on my own and have only the net and reloading manuals for guidance. I reload for a 243 and a 300 win mag. I never go past what loads are in my manuals because I am afraid that I will miss something and have an accident. I find a good accurate load and I stick with it.
I have a soft spot for the 300 WBY because my grandfather swore by it. All he would shoot were WBY cartridges and Mark V rifles. Well he is gone now very recently and ONE day after his funeral I got an offer that I couldn't pass up on a almost brand new Vanguard S2 in 300 WBY.
Anyway I am gonna stick with my Hornady brass for now. I know some guys don't like it but I have had no problems with it at all. It has to be prepped before use, but I would check and size any cases that I loaded regardless of the brand for fear of missing something or making a mistake on my part. I am going to buy one box of factory Weatherby ammo that is on sale right now. I'll use it to site in my new scope if my **** bases ever get here. A Falcon Menace 4-18 X 44. And once I have fired the factory ammo I will have 20 cases to check the capacity on compared to Hornady. I also plan to keep track of how long they last. Once again thanks for all of the information.

My condolences on your loss. My Grandfather was WW2 vet and a great presence in my life. As for being a wimp reloading there are far fewer tough guy reloaders in the long run. The nets nice but manuals are proven with alot more science than " Jim Bob's ultimate Magnum charge" in his rifle. Stick to the book and focused while loading and you'll be good to go.

Gene

MM,

I suggest revisiting the first post by the OP in order to understand that he was asking about the .300 Weatherby Magnum cases only. This does not have anything to do with either the .300 Win Mag. or the 7mm Rem. Mag. So chastising me about the size of the variance is an exaggeration in the first place. You have created a problem that doesn't exist. He was asking about the difference between case capacity of only the .300 Weatherby Mag. cases.

Here is the original post by '257 Weatherby' on Weatherby Nation from the question by 'smithjasona1978':

So, if you do the subtraction, the capacity difference is 4.5 grains or 1/2 of what you stated above.

The other point to make is that 'smithjasona1978' is at the beginning of a new reloading program, not in the middle or at the end using already established loads with accuracy nodes. He hasn't established anything yet but as a good, cautious reloader he is asking first for guidance before starting his reloading and testing.

Now, in my original short post, I was hypothesizing about the change in capacity. I didn't feel the need for getting out a bunch of my brass and doing water capacity measurements to make exacting comments. I did not take into account that Norma would thin the head (stupid IMO) of these cases in order either save on material or gain capacity. That's why I originally suggest that the difference would be only a couple of grains.

So in essence, because the OP is at the very beginning, without even having started his testing, there is no danger of blowing up cases or damaging rifles which you two have tried to make a case for. He has been apprised of the existing situation with the capacity variables so he can proceed safely and carefully.

Regards.
I will chastise you, you obviously know little about the differing case capacities, I included the 300WM and 7RM as OTHER examples. The capacity of the 300 Weatherby between brands is well documented.
As far as I'm concerned, your dismissla of any danger is STUPID, UNINFORMED and RECKLESS.
If you don't like this, I DO NOT CARE FOR YOUR UNINFORMED OPINION.

Oh come on guys. Please don't make an argument out of it. Won't get us anywhere. Doesn't anyone have say 10 300 wby cases of Weatherby brand and 10 of any other brand that they can check and settle this? I ordered a box of 180 grain Weatherby ammo but it will be a while before it gets used.

Oh come on guys. Please don't make an argument out of it. Won't get us anywhere. Doesn't anyone have say 10 300 wby cases of Weatherby brand and 10 of any other brand that they can check and settle this? I ordered a box of 180 grain Weatherby ammo but it will be a while before it gets used.
Yes, I have Norma, Weatherby and Remington. They have different capacities by a fair margin.

Cheers.
gun)

If you could be a little bit more specific I would appreciate it. And what about case life? I would expect that the case with the highest capacity has the shortest life.

If you could be a little bit more specific I would appreciate it. And what about case life? I would expect that the case with the highest capacity has the shortest life.

Only if you full length size them each time and shoot maximum loads. (I neck size only and don't shoot maximum loads any more and have very good brass life with my Weatherbys.

Also a good anneal about every third firing will extend the life.

6 or 7 uses should be minimum with proper sizing and care with good cases.

J E CUSTOM

Yes, I have Norma, Weatherby and Remington. They have different capacities by a fair margin.

Cheers.
gun)
There's no point being specific, just use whatever brass you choose, don't mix up head stamps and you won't have a problem.
There will NOT be higher velocity with Norma/Weatherby brass, it will, in fact, be LOWER.

No, the capacity of the brass has no bearing on case life. It's how you size it that matters.

lightbulb

Like one of the other members said, don't try to match Weatherby factory ammo velocities, they use powders that are only available to them,and they run hot. I have had the best accuracy with Weatherby brass and H1000 and 210 gr Berger VLD hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.