Does Trigger affect accuracy?

Laker_Taker

I have a Browning A bolt .223 wssm. I am having a hard time to get it to shoot. At 100 yards I have it down to 1.5 2 inches on paper. The biggest thing that bothers me about the gun is the trigger is so darn stiff. Does anybody know if they can be adjusted or can I replace it with a good known brand name trigger? I have never played with the trigger before and do not know if it can result in accuracy problems. Any suggestions welcome. Please don't say get rid of the .223 wssm. I like to try all my options first before I make any judgments.

Thanks Aaron

Adjusting or replacing the trigger will not make your gun any more accurate.
It might help make YOU more accurate. If you don't like the trigger have it replaced, I'm not a smith so I couldn't tell you if it's adjustable.

Timney makes a trigger spring kit for A-Bolts. It comes with two springs.
Midway or Brownells carries them. About $30.

It wotn make a 2 MOA gun a .5 MOA gun if thats what you want to know.

Its just easier for the shooter to get better accuracy with a lighter trigger.

I just shot a 1" group at 400 yards this morning with my 25-06/115g VLD with a 5lb trigger. Dont think a lighter trigger is going to get it any better. But you can bet I"m gonna get a timney or work on the darn thing. Takes to much concentration to break a heavy trigger consistently.

A good trigger can make a huge difference for someone that doesn't have real sound technique. I remember the first time I had a trigger job done on a Mod. 700 in high school. The rifle was probably a 2 moa gun with me operating it and it turned into a .5 moa. If you've never had a really good trigger it is a thing of beauty.

I should of tried to make myself more clear. I was trying to say as the shooter would I benefit from a lighter trigger. I have many brand names in the gun safe and this gun's trigger is so stiff it gives a new meaning to touch on off. Thanks to all who have replied and those who will reply. I am going to buy a quality trigger and play with it. If I still don't like what the gun shoots I can always play with the new toy I bought today. Remington SPS .243 Varmint.

Thanks Aaron

Aaron,

I would suggest the Timney spring kit as well I've used quite a few and they work great. They are also pretty simple to install the first one I did took me less than 5 minutes. Made a world of difference to me anyway :)

Good Shooting,

Dave

Aaron,

I would suggest the Timney spring kit as well I've used quite a few and they work great. They are also pretty simple to install the first one I did took me less than 5 minutes. Made a world of difference to me anyway :)

Good Shooting,

Dave

I installed a timney 2 lb trigger spring on an A-bolt 300 wsm I had and it went off once when I loaded a round into the chamber. The closing of the bolt was enough to make it fire. Thats sketchy. Come to think of it I couldn't get that gun to shoot under 1.5" and I have heard that a lot of A-bolt short mags are real finicky.

I had a left had action savage weather warrior and the accutrigger drove me nuts :cool:
I could shoot it off a rest alright but freehand quick shots the trigger would some times clunk sideways meaning I would have to cycle the bolt to reset the trigger before I could get a shot off and it cost me a couple sets antlers that I would been happy to add to my small collection that hang on the wall above my reloading bench.
I replaced it with a timney trigger and never had that problem again great triggerlightbulb
the real problem with this rifle in reality was the stock it was a piece of floppy plastic junk and it just didn,t fit me very well I adapted but it was hard work

There are at least 3 things about triggers that affect accuracy:
#1, bolt timing/striker release
#2, the hold a gun shoots best with
#3, your ability to shoot with it

#1 can also affect safety

I went with a Timney spring kit that probably got me down to ~2lbs. This seems impossibly high to me still, but I can shoot the gun well in the field.
You should of coarse test the hell out of trigger adjustments before loading any rounds into the gun. Cycle the bolt every way normal and awkward. Play with the safety & slam the butt on the ground, etc.

It's too bad Browning hasn't adjusted to accept better aftermarket triggers. Their actions are great otherwise.

I have a Browning A bolt .223 wssm. I am having a hard time to get it to shoot. At 100 yards I have it down to 1.5 2 inches on paper. The biggest thing that bothers me about the gun is the trigger is so darn stiff. Does anybody know if they can be adjusted or can I replace it with a good known brand name trigger? I have never played with the trigger before and do not know if it can result in accuracy problems. Any suggestions welcome. Please don't say get rid of the .223 wssm. I like to try all my options first before I make any judgments.

Thanks Aaron
there is an adjustment screw on the a-bolt. I did my a-bolt in 300 win in a fit of trigger re-adjustments a few months back(got 4 of 'em done on a weekend). Google the screw's location to be sure but I know you just have to take the back screws out on my 300 and back out the trigger guard to access it. It went from 5# or so down to around 3#. It still is the same 1/2" to 1" rifle it was before.

Three things with triggers help one shoot accurately.

First, the trigger has to break clean (such as breaking a glass rod in half) and repeatable in pull weight for every shot. Even 4.5 pound triggers on M1 and M14 service rifles or a 3.5 pound one on a Palma rifle can be adjusted to do this very repeatable. Factory rifle triggers vary quite a bit; some are better than others in this regard.

Second, the heavier the pull weight, the more one has to hold onto the stock's pistol grip so the trigger hand doesn't move after the sear's released the firing pin (or hammer).

Third, the trigger must be pulled straight back so when the sear releases the firing pin, the force imparted to the rifle when it stops moving pulls it straight back into ones shoulder. And no part of the trigger finger should touch the stock; laying a trigger finger on the stock's a sure way to cause problems. If the trigger finger's too far onto the trigger, the rifle gets pulled towards the trigger hand; too little and the rifle pushes away from the trigger hand. With a scope, dry fire and watch carefully where the reticule moves as you pull the trigger; move the finger on the trigger until the rifle stays still when it dry fired. You've got to keep your eyes open and see where the reticule jumps. It needs to stay put when you fire the rifle. And keep your trigger finger back until the rifle stops moving from recoil. Flicking your finger off the trigger when the rifle fires is one good way to cause the barrel to point some other place than where you want it to when the bullet leaves.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.