Does this happen to anyone else?

blipelt

Went out coyote hunting for about three hours yesterday afternoon. I haven't had much time to hunt them in the last five years. The snow was up to my knees every step. We walked in about 400 yds. Set up and called for about 25 minutes. When returning to the pickup I always leave the area going downwind. About 1/2mile away two coyotes are a couple hundred yards off the road. We get one before they get over the hill. Now this happens to me occasionally. I want to know if I am the only one? We saw seven and harvested two for the day. I have never saw a coyote cross a road to come to a call before, has anyone else? One thing is for certain a pair of snow shoes will be bought before I go out again on wednesday.

Brent

I have better luck calling coyotes across roads than I do fences but they can hang up at either one. It seems to get worse as the breeding and denning seasons get closer. Coyotes will use the roads or fences as territorial boundaries. I tell my hunting partner all the time that I hate calling around fences. The more fences, the more unlikely we'll have a response it seems. I've seen coyotes come running and stop as if they had hit a wall 20 yards before a fence. Roads can have the same effect.

Occasionally I'll have coyotes stop and think and watch then finally come but act very apprehensive. I think they're afraid they'll be caught in their neighbor's territory. My experience says that territorial hang ups will get worse from here on out this winter. The good news is that if you're in the coyotes territory, expect a faster and more aggressive reaction to the call.

Good luck. Eventually you'll be on the "right side of the road" and it'll all come together.

Tim
No Off Season
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Two out of seven is not a very good day. The dogs that come to calls have to be killed because they are so easily educated and will not come in next time. Time to stop taking them to school and start sending them to the big gut pile in the sky.

I try to hunt ND. Winter gets too brutle. Do your best and enjoy. I haven't shot a coyote for a long time. I believe they move at nite. Hunting from a vehicle is reality. lightbulb

Only two came into the call. Or four if you count the two that came up to the road and stopped about 1/2mile down wind. Two of those four are now dead. The other three were seen from the road while traveling from place to place. Most don't even see them all curled up. I lobbed one at one at 700yds. with my factory SPS 223 I hit two feet low. I guarntee one of my long rangers will be in the tundra next time.

I would have loved to see all of them dead, but my 16year old neuphew still gets pretty excited. I am not to worried about educating them at this point everybody and there mother calls around there. Kinda why I quit coyote hunting, everyone was getting into it.

Brent

Yeah too many are trying it around here too. It makes me find differnt tactics that work. I find that a small coyote will not be brave enough to leave his zone. The big alfas dont seem to care where they are. If you can fool a big dog into coming to a call he will cross roads and fences.

I would have loved to see all of them dead, but my 16year old neuphew still gets pretty excited. I am not to worried about educating them at this point everybody and there mother calls around there. Kinda why I quit coyote hunting, everyone was getting into it.

Brent

Thank Randy Anderson and Foxpro for that.

I dont mind people hunting em. But use your head!

I see guys blaring the foxpro's on full power for 40 straight minutes with no pauses, or calling from pickups or sleds.....and they wonder why all the coyotes stall out at half a mile! So many lazy people out there.

Gotta be smarter than the coyote.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.