Does "Shooter" app need service

Yes, 4xforfun is correct. Even if you have cell service, the imported weather data is just imported from the nearest weather station... and chances are the temp and pressure are different where you are sitting.

I use my own devices to measure absolute pressure, temp and wind.
Yep as is the wind.

You're better off estimating in my opinion and of course far better off with a hand held weather station of some sort.

I have a couple of watches that give me barometer, elevation, temp, and humidity that are pretty accurate. Wind I estimate on my own based on observation.

Yes Sir, perfect is 1.0 and you can adjust that either way to what ever your scope actually tracks to. For example .95 or 1.05 either side of correct.

Jeff
Interesting... . I wonder how often it works out that close? A lot of the time where we're shooting over changing terrain the wind can change speed and direction several times at LR.

Interesting... . I wonder how often it works out that close? A lot of the time where we're shooting over changing terrain the wind can change speed and direction several times at LR.

It is a error that multiplies with distance. The error gets larger with each MOA dialed. You can do the math easily while eliminating all environmental conditions and then enter the calibrated correction number. In most cases, depending on how far off the scope tracks, it is worth doing. If you don't, and your scope tracks off, you will end up fudging another data entry, for example velocity or BC, to make up for it. That can bite you later when you shoot from different environmental conditions. This is just part of using good data to receive good data from the program.

We did my ATACR from a high end gun vice off my work bench in my shop. Pulled a steel tape from the turret to a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 100 yards. The plywood was installed perfectly plumb. On the plywood was a 1" wide steel tape. We checked calibration every 20 moa all the way to 120 MOA. Each time, after adding 20 moa and taking a reading we would return to zero to insure the rifle or scope had not moved. In the end we determined the scope was near perfect but the correction factor was 1.008

We used that correction number, took velocity reading on different days with both an Oehler 35 and a Magneto speed. All data was entered and we went straight to my range and shot a cold bore shot and one follow up at 800, 1200, 1600 and 1773 yards. Then returned the next day and repeated this shooting sequence. All shots were spot on for elevation inside .5 moa accuracy of the rifle and my field shooting skill. I think it is worth the time if you want to be spot on at all distances in all environmental conditions. I have seen some scopes as far off as 1.05

Jeff

Yep as is the wind.

You're better off estimating in my opinion and of course far better off with a hand held weather station of some sort.

I have a couple of watches that give me barometer, elevation, temp, and humidity that are pretty accurate. Wind I estimate on my own based on observation.

What kind of watches do you have that do that? I like that idea

Yes Sir, perfect is 1.0 and you can adjust that either way to what ever your scope actually tracks to. For example .95 or 1.05 either side of correct.

Jeff
Hadon my phone a few years wonder if I need update .How do I get to adjust

Hadon my phone a few years wonder if I need update .How do I get to adjust

Remember we are adjusting the rifle not the ammo. So, go to rifle page, tap and hold on the rifle you want, then select edit. Then scroll down to the bottom to "Elev. Correction Factor" and "Wind Correction Factor" The default is 1.0 for a scope that tracks perfect.

Jeff

This is really interesting. I honestly did not know you could adjust for scope tracking. I really want to test my ATACR, but need to figure out how to clamp it down securely.

It is a error that multiplies with distance. The error gets larger with each MOA dialed. You can do the math easily while eliminating all environmental conditions and then enter the calibrated correction number. In most cases, depending on how far off the scope tracks, it is worth doing. If you don't, and your scope tracks off, you will end up fudging another data entry, for example velocity or BC, to make up for it. That can bite you later when you shoot from different environmental conditions. This is just part of using good data to receive good data from the program.

We did my ATACR from a high end gun vice off my work bench in my shop. Pulled a steel tape from the turret to a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 100 yards. The plywood was installed perfectly plumb. On the plywood was a 1" wide steel tape. We checked calibration every 20 moa all the way to 120 MOA. Each time, after adding 20 moa and taking a reading we would return to zero to insure the rifle or scope had not moved. In the end we determined the scope was near perfect but the correction factor was 1.008

We used that correction number, took velocity reading on different days with both an Oehler 35 and a Magneto speed. All data was entered and we went straight to my range and shot a cold bore shot and one follow up at 800, 1200, 1600 and 1773 yards. Then returned the next day and repeated this shooting sequence. All shots were spot on for elevation inside .5 moa accuracy of the rifle and my field shooting skill. I think it is worth the time if you want to be spot on at all distances in all environmental conditions. I have seen some scopes as far off as 1.05

Jeff
Oh I get all that Broz, I am just wondering how often the wind data taken off of a cell phone from the nearest weather station will be that accurate at your shooting location where you have varied terrain.

Oh I get all that Broz, I am just wondering how often the wind data taken off of a cell phone from the nearest weather station will be that accurate at your shooting location where you have varied terrain.

Sorry, WildRose, guess I misunderstood your statement. The reason I was not on the same page is I don't believe the automatic mode inputs wind. It has no way of knowing what direction you would be shooting. Only your gps location for Baro, temp and humidity. But like I said , we played with it but still use our kestrel for inputs manually. Wind is king and once wind is above 3mph I would be lost without a kestrel.

Jeff

Thanks Min breaks mils down to 1/20 1/1/0 1/8 1/6 1/5 1/4 1/3 1/2 5/8 So I was curious because I here the March Scope current Mil is old military standard or something different but is differnt I believe than say Leo.

Just a heads up...your smart phone doesn't know squat. It gets all of it's weather info from a local weather station. Your phone does not have a thermometer, it does not know the barometric psi...or the humidity..or the wind speed or direction.

For me, that weather station is 20 miles away....at a lower altitude..on flat ground!!

If your going to get serious about LR shooting, buy a hand held weather station (3500 or 4500) and get pinpoint, up to date environmental info to feed your smart phone.

Just my .02,
Tod

Iphones do it that way but my Samsung Galaxy S4 has temperature, barometer and humidity sensors built in. The barometer is spot on with my Kestrel but the temperature is usually off because I pack it in my pocket and it takes a while to read the actual temp when I set it down on the bench.

Samsung Galaxy S4 specs

Iphones do it that way but my Samsung Galaxy S4 has temperature, barometer and humidity sensors built in. The barometer is spot on with my Kestrel but the temperature is usually off because I pack it in my pocket and it takes a while to read the actual temp when I set it down on the bench.

Samsung Galaxy S4 specs

Really..so if you are driving along in your car, or sitting on the couch watching a game and you look at your phone, what temp and humidity does it give you ?????

I will give you a hint......it is whatever the signal it recives from the nearest weather station tells it to be!

I did some research into the S4. Only in the S-4 did they have a rudementry tmometer, but was all but usless. It was good for letting you know if your battery was over heating. Those sensors are all gone now on the S-5.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.