Does Positive Compensation exist @ 600yrds?

308win

I understand the theory and can see this possibly working for ELR, but will it show up at shorter ranges? I'm about to start load development for a 260REM w/135 Berger CH (pickup gun) and a 7-08AI w/150 ELD-X. Both will be running in the high 2500's for velocities. I'll be shooting the "powder ladder" @ 100yrds and picking a charge based off that. This is my first time trying this and just wondering if it will show anything inside 600yrds? My normal method is running a ladder (2 shot groups) @ either 634yrds or 822? Depends on winds. It will be interesting to see if I get to the same place doing positive compensation? Interested to see if anybody has some experience with this?

I understand the theory and can see this possibly working for ELR, but will it show up at shorter ranges? I'm about to start load development for a 260REM w/135 Berger CH (pickup gun) and a 7-08AI w/150 ELD-X. Both will be running in the high 2500's for velocities. I'll be shooting the "powder ladder" @ 100yrds and picking a charge based off that. This is my first time trying this and just wondering if it will show anything inside 600yrds? My normal method is running a ladder (2 shot groups) @ either 634yrds or 822? Depends on winds. It will be interesting to see if I get to the same place doing positive compensation? Interested to see if anybody has some experience with this?
Personally, I would not run a ladder in less than 300 yards. Just my opinion.

Personally, I would not run a ladder in less than 300 yards. Just my opinion.
I think you have mistaken my process, I 100% agree with you. Normally do ladders at 600+ depending on the day (winds). The positive compensation method you shoot a ladder at 100yrds looking where the slower velocities print higher. Terrible explanation, it would be better just to Google it and let the pros explain it.

I think you have mistaken my process, I 100% agree with you. Normally do ladders at 600+ depending on the day (winds). The positive compensation method you shoot a ladder at 100yrds looking where the slower velocities print higher. Terrible explanation, it would be better just to Google it and let the pros explain it.
don't worry about it. Its not the first nor the last time I will speak before I understand....

I haven't noticed positive compensation at 600 yard benchrest competitions with 4 different cartridges
That's my thought, just too short of a distance to figure it out? Thought I might see something running slower around 2600fps? It will be interesting to see if it works out with my normal forgiving load using the standard Ladder at distance?

I'm not sure. Definitely need an accurate rifle and do the ladder at the distance you're trying to see it. I do my load work up at 200 and it's always tracked out to 1000 with normal dispersion. I do pretty well in competitions

2500s??? You looking to soft load your rounds? Or are you running 16" barrels?

140s in a 24" .260 should be in the high 2700s to mid 2800s.

150s in a 24" 7-08AI should be in there too.

260 is a 16.5"
7-08AI is 18"

I am guilty of pushing both rifles way beyond where I should have. Now just looking for a comfortable load that isn't leaning on it. Especially for the 260, temp swings in Texas this time of year can be 40° from morning to afternoon.

260 is a 16.5"
7-08AI is 18"

I am guilty of pushing both rifles way beyond where I should have. Now just looking for a comfortable load that isn't leaning on it. Especially for the 260, temp swings in Texas this time of year can be 40° from morning to afternoon.
Those projected velocities make a lot more sense now.

You know...you can rechamber that .260 Rem into a .260AI and pick up some added speed.
In my 20" .260AI, I am running a 140 Hyb @ 2914fps. I hit 3000fps where I finally hit some slight pressure. I bet that 16.5" should make 2750-2800+.