does copper jaketing mark the inside of barrel?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by soundwaves, Mar 6, 2011.

1. soundwaves

soundwaves Well-Known Member

does copper jaketing mark the inside of barrel? lm asking this because l can see some markings at the end section of my bore. is this normal or could it be rust? l tryed cleening it but its still there a bit. my dad bought a new CZ 550 and his has the saim thing in it to.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Its normal. What did you try cleaning it with? I use a nylon brush and sweets 7.62 copper remover but there are lots of products out there to say the least. There are also alot of diffrent thoughts on how often you should clean the copper out.

Jon

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Copper doesn't mar the bore but plates out on it. Especially if the bore is rough.

A decent break in process or a Tubb's Final Finish process will work wonders.

A copper removal compound is pretty much a must in a cleaning regimen.

4. flyin lizard

flyin lizard Well-Known Member

Bore Tech Eliminator works real well for copper, no ammomia in it so it won't damage the barrel if iy gets left inside.

5. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

+1 on BTE. Saw a test where guys were dissolving bullet jackets using different solvents. If I recall the BTE did all of it's dissolving very quickly, then sort of nutralized. Based on that I would doubt it would be good for trying to soak copper out, but it will work for quick removal.

6. Don Ward

Don Ward Well-Known Member

KG12, nylon brush, and a bunch of strokes does a good job on copper with no soaking.