Does anyone use Exbal?

Wile E Coyote

Does anyone use Nightforce's Exbal ballistics programs? I just acquired the PC and Win mobile versions and will spend some time in the next few days learn the ins and outs. Up until now I have been using the G7 calc.

Are there any tip or tricks one should know? What are the pitfalls and what should not be attempted?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I've been using Exbal for several years (PC and Palm). I've found the following works for me.

1) Use it's defaults for your rough drop charts.
2) Use accurate barametric, humidity etc. information.
3) Validate the drop charts (document your actual differences for each range).
4) Re-Verify your velocity with good Chronograph(s), understand your ES.
5) Use the multiple BC feature to match the Exbal drops to your ACTUAL shot drops.
6) Once you've done the above, you can count on the drops within your verified yardages to be accurate and any changes in Environmental conditions to be accurately estimated with Exbal.

For example, I've done this with my 338Allen Mag, 338Edge and 7mm Rem Mag. (out to 1200+yds with the 338AM). I've been able to dial these rifles for intermediate yardages and hit dead on between my verified distances using these methods.

AJ

I was out over the weekend with my .223; a rifle that shoots very well and I have my dope figured out in a notebook out to 655 yd for a 60gn Sierra HP. Data developed with a lot of "shoot n see." But it is hard, accurate data and I trust it. Good chrono data has been determined and tested with the G7 calculator so I knew what to expect.

I left Exbal in its default settings and just input my bullet, velocity, sight info and the weather at the moment. the one change made was to set the altitude to 0 and use station pressure for "pressure at altitude.".

The drops generated by Exbal were almost exactly what I had already worked up. Out to 425y everything was within a click (1/3 min). At 485 the deviation opened slightly, 2/3min but the wind was starting to pick up. I'll pick this up again next week and shoot out to my known 655y on paper.

I do need to use the program a little more to make it second nature as I did spend more time with it than I would want to when hunting. Otherwise I'm confident that it will produce a good dope provided I input accurately.

AJ given great advice here. I used exbal for years and still do a little. But I keep my pdacharged up with the NF program for a back up system now.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.