Does a 1st plane reticle hinder long range shots on deer?

SAKO75HUNTER

I have a S&B 1.5-6x42 A7 reticle and it is 1st plane reticle. At longer distances, i am wondering if it is hindering shot placement on deer sized game. Do any of you use 1st plane reticles and if so what model. I am talking 350 yards or less.

1st focal reticle do not hinder long shots in any way shape of form, to ge honest i wouldn't use a 2nd focal.
but you do want a reticle that is thin enough not to cover to much of the target when the shots get long.
I use a 4-16x50 PMII from S&B formy long range stuff.. it has the klein reticle, which is plenty thin for long range but not to thin that its unusable when the light gets low.
with that 1.5-6 set on 6 you'll be ok out to the distance you mention, the width of the reticle at its thinnest part corresponds to 6.5mm @100m . thats about the same as my illuminated mildot on my 3-12x50PMII,, which i've used to take roe deer out as far as 620m.
having said that,, since getting the klein (gen 2 mildot) in the 4-16 i wouldn't want to go back to the normal midot for the longrange stuff.. the klein covers 3.2mm or so (i forger exactly, but its just over 3mm) at 100m. so its about half the thickness of the other reticle,, and is an advantage..
Pete

Sako75hunter,

I use the old Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 mil dot on most of my big game long range rifles which has the FFP sytem.

One thing you need to remember is that while it takes some getting used to seeing that reticle increase in size, it covers the same area of the target weither its on 4.5x or 14x.

Point being if you can get a precise target picture on lower power you will on any power at any range.

I have used my scopes on Mouflon sheep out to +900 yards and was easily able to get a clear target picture with the FFP mildot.

I have also taken rockchucks with one shots kills at ranges out to +1100 yards with the same scopes with great results so if the original reticle design is properly designed you will never have a problem shooting deer size game out to even 1000 yards.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.