Do you use an Angle Cosine Indicator (ACI) for uphill/downhill shots?

Do you use an Angle Cosine Indicator on uphill/downhill shots?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 300 25.5%
  • No, I don't need it where I hunt.

Votes: 494 42.0%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 383 32.5%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
For tough uphill/downhill shots at significant distances an ACI helps to make the correction necessary for a confident kill shot. I've been using one for quite a few years.

Buy the Angle cosine indicator at the LRH Store.

Last edited by a moderator:
my shooting preference and local doesn't lend itself to using one.

Last edited:
depending on the caliber, the ACI on long distance shots on uneven ground becomes crucial whether shooting targets or at game.

the "poke and hope" method of holding under or over game isn't very ethical when shooting from / at elevated positions, and depending on the distance and slope can result in several inches to a foot of difference compared to flat ground.

of course just having the tool on the rifle doesn't mean much if you don't know how to use it. one should practice from elevated positions or at elevated targets at distance, and a proper data book with proper dope and a calculator to make an educated adjustment is just as crucial, and goes hand in hand with the ACI.

:)

beante.jpg

I bought a Leupold rangefinder with TBR (True Ballistic Range). We'll see how it works!

Last edited:
On all of my rifles.
I give S**t to my hunting partner every time for not using one.
Some people never learn....

CALL ME CHEAP! I use a 10 dollar angle finder from ace hardware.
RR

The ACI's look slick and are certainly a good idea. But I'm cheap too. Even cheaper. My angle finder was about $7.

I intend to own a Leica CRF 1600 soon. In addition to the range, it will provide the temperature, station pressure, and inclined or declined angle for my ballistics program.

depending on the caliber, the ACI on long distance shots on uneven ground becomes crucial whether shooting targets or at game.

the "poke and hope" method of holding under or over game isn't very ethical when shooting from / at elevated positions, and depending on the distance and slope can result in several inches to a foot of difference compared to flat ground.

of course just having the tool on the rifle doesn't mean much if you don't know how to use it. one should practice from elevated positions or at elevated targets at distance, and a proper data book with proper dope and a calculator to make an educated adjustment is just as crucial, and goes hand in hand with the ACI.

+1...

I always bought them in the past, but with the new android shooter program it is built in. I think I am done purchasing them forever! This program has been extremely accurate, escpecially now that my kestrel 4000 bluetooths all the info to it.:)

Last edited:
I always bought them in the past, but with the new android shooter program it is built in. I think I am done purchasing them forever! This program has been extremely accurate, escpecially now that my kestrel 4000 bluetooths all the info to it.:)

Glad to hear you like the shooter program. I just got it too. Please let us know how it works for you and to what distances and conditions you have used it. I posted in Bryans thread and would love to see how this is working for others.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-ballistics-program-android-phones-54755/

Thanks!
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.