Do you guys reload by weight or by volume?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 243yote, Oct 20, 2009.

1. 243yote

243yote Well-Known Member

Pressing question? Load by weight or volume? Which is better? Have been loading by weight for the past 3 yrs. Is there a benefit for reloading by volume? I load for .223 and .243 mainly now but also would like to work up some loads for 25-06 and 270. Which is better for an all around load, meaning for spring, fall and winter? :rolleyes:

2. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, there's a shortage of reloading data in cubic inches or cubic centimeters.

Which is a better "all around" anything is purely a matter of opinon. And we do have lots of opinions! :D

3. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

By Weight. And I try to not get too brain damaged around that. :D

4. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

Volume is the more accurate method because of the variation in weight due to humidity. From a practical standpoint though, the powder has to want to be measured by volume. Said another way, spherical powders can be accurately metered. The others need to be weighed.

5. guns_and_labs

guns_and_labs Well-Known Member

Don't you just take the case, pick a likely powder, and fill the case? What's this measurement stuff?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I reload by weight, but I live in a relatively constant humidity area, and load in a more or less temperature/humidity controlled room.

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Not for LR work they can't without a ton of vertical!

Now even in SR BR they are weighing powder charges as they have found that they cannot control the variance.

BH

7. Winchester 69

Winchester 69 Well-Known Member

Spherical powders have to be weighed for long range? Which ones?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

No one shoots LR and LR comp w/o weighing powders and that is for any powder. That is unless you are satisified with "minute of rock" groups and a 6 footer at that.

If that really worked, the shooters would be doing it and they are not. Simple as that.

Never heard of any powder that you could. Just does not work.

Better question is which spherical powder does not and just how was that determined?

BH