Do Nosler Partitions Group Well at High Velocity?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
However, with California and there new 'non-lead hunting rule' for 2019, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe buy a box of the new non-lead stuff just in case I get asked but still use my hand loads in the field (as I shake my head from side to side).

Don't do that...you will still get a ticket. They ticket guys with one round of lead in their pack, not even in the rifle!

And they also have ways of checking the animals at check stations/meat lockers for any signs of lead and then will issue tickets based on that.

I'm a little late to the party and have a bit of a long story to get to the point so hang in there. I have a 340 weatherby that I bought off a older gentleman named Norman Nickman secondhand for the deal of a lifetime while in college in Missoula, MT. Norm used this rifle to shoot everything including antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, caribou and an Alaskan brown bear which he proudly had a photo of on his wall. It was built by my buddy Matt's grandfather, Bob Hagel, which is how I heard about the rifle being for sale. The gun came with a load of goodies, powder, bullets, dies, brass, some already loaded ammo and probably a few things I've since forgotten. According to Norm the dies were the first set of RCBS 340 weatherby dies, I have nothing other than his word that this is true, and that the reamer that cut the chamber was also used to cut the dies. I took it out to the range for the first time running some of the rounds that he had already loaded and the rifle wearing the leupold vx1 fixed 4 power he sold it with and being told it was zeroed at 200 I decided I'd give it a go at that range and see what I came up with. After the first 3 shot group with loaded ammo which was 250 grain nosler partitions over a classic Bob Hagel stout charge I was walking back to the bench thinking I just had shot a lucky group, especially considering it was a 4X scope but after two more of similar size I was totally in love and Matt was really wishing he had bought the gun. The gun continues to shoot beyond belief, which is why I'm not stating group size because many would say no way, and also why I have not changed a thing about this amazing classic rifle. For reference I have rifles built by Proof Research, Cooper, RWSnyder and Clay Spencer as well as a few other lesser known names and I'd put this rifle up against any of them. I say all this to proudly share a little history I'm proud to be part of and say yes Nosler Partitions are capable of incredible accuracy!

Welcome!!! Buster H, & Congrats on getting that 340 (Bee) of the Famous Bob Hagel, his books should be Manditory reading for every Riflemen be they man or women !!!. Thk you for your post here among everyone else's also ! Cheers .

I've hunted a wide variety of game species with Nosler Partitions since the early 70's and haven't experienced a single failure. That's why I've continued using them for so many years in my .270 Wby, .300 Wby and .340 Wby . . . all considered to be reasonably high velocity chamberings.

I've been loading NP for the last 25 years for my .270 and they work great. When I first started doing load development years ago, I noticed they didn't group well when I pushed them hard, but backing them down a small amount helped a great deal. I guess it's what my barrel wanted and have stayed with them to this day.

However, with California and there new 'non-lead hunting rule' for 2019, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe buy a box of the new non-lead stuff just in case I get asked but still use my hand loads in the field (as I shake my head from side to side).

Dont risk losing your hunting license and priviledges. Try out the Hammers. Better safe than sorry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.