Do it all short action with .532 bolt face?

A couple I'm considering...

• 6.5mm SAUM 4S

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other option?

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
I finally realized I can't have my cake and eat it too. I decided a 22-250 was needed. I won't be hotrodding my rifles anymore. I like having two eyes and all my fingers. lightbulb

I know the .308 caliber is not too much larger than a .264, but like the idea of additional tissue displacement from the larger diameter, more so for bears than elk or big deer.

Just jabbin' you a little Will:D Seriously though, an elk is more difficult to kill than a bear; at least a black bear......Rich

I voted for other, probably because I have a 6.5 rem mag. Same case head, .532" bolt face, etc.

Mine will shoot 130 gr SSII at 3175 fps with single digit ES & SD and that is good enough for me. Brass can be hard to come by but with the right die you can make all you want from 7 mag

Just jabbin' you a little Will:D Seriously though, an elk is more difficult to kill than a bear; at least a black bear......Rich

I'm thinking more along the lines of bigger hole, better blood trail in spite of all the fat and long thick fur. I know they're easier to kill then an elk, I'd just prefer not to track if possible.

Im loading the 300 SS with a 208 ELD-M now at 2953 FPS at 2.989" I believe. I need to update my thread on this but last week I was doing some shooting from my house at a rock up the hill that was about 36" long by 15" tall and drilled it on my third shot.... Oh ya and it was at 1563 yards!!! The BC I was using is pretty close but I had to adjust a little. I'm going to switch to the ELD-M from the 215 Berger for this rifle.

Im loading the 300 SS with a 208 ELD-M now at 2953 FPS at 2.989" I believe. I need to update my thread on this but last week I was doing some shooting from my house at a rock up the hill that was about 36" long by 15" tall and drilled it on my third shot.... Oh ya and it was at 1563 yards!!! The BC I was using is pretty close but I had to adjust a little. I'm going to switch to the ELD-M from the 215 Berger for this rifle.

My bad! I thought it was the 212.

Great performance! I am shooting the same ELDs at 2965fps in my .308 Norma but I am loaded at 3.488" haha. What powder and charge are you using? Sounds very similar to my Norma. Great shooting by the way!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts