Do I turn necks are aneal the brass.

Iron Worker

Ok I spoke to my Gunsmith that chamberd my rifle (6x284)I'd fire a round then eject it. And then try to insert a bullet into fired case. They don't fit. He says I don't have a tight neck. He said i have an anealing problem. I said I have brand new brass. He said that doesn't matter.The brass is too hard its not exspanding like its supposed to. The loaded rnd Neck Diameter is .274 Lapua Brass. The fired case is also .274 Lapua brass has 6 fireings. Now Norma brass with 1 fireing. Loaded rnd .268 fired .270. So what is my next thing I should do?

I am still trying to figure out why if your loaded rounds neck diameter is 0.268 and your fired neck diameters are 0.270 with new cases and 0.274" with old cases, why the bullet will not pass through the fired case mouth.

Is this a rem 700 rifle?

Is there any minor dents in the case mouth preventing the bullet from passing through the case neck?

One way to find out is to anneal a case neck and shoot the thing and see what it measures.

Your gunsmith should be able to tell you what the neck diameter of the chamber is and how your fired case necks match up to your chamber.

I have seen instances where both of the situations you are mentioning have happened.

Easy check, anneal a case neck and fire it. If your bullet still will not pass though the case mouth then I would say you need to turn your necks.

Still though, I do not know why the bullet will not pass through the case neck if loaded round neck diameter is 0.268" and fired case neck diameter is 0.270 or 0.274" in diameter, does not make sense to me???

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok great question Ok in my hand is a loaded Norma rnd and a fired Lapua case. The Loaded Norma does fit into the Fired Lapua.Oh wait a minute I've screwed up here. Its the loaded Norma rnd and Loaded lapua rnd doesn't fit into the fired norma brass. The fired Norma brass is .270 the fired Lapua brass is .274. So whats up with this Norma brass? . Something is not jiving here.I'm running them both threw the same sizing die ( Redding Full lenght no bushing). Just whatever it is comeing from the factory.Fifty Driver thanks for your time.Oh 1 more thing I have broken extractor on Rem 700. What is your price to fix? Do you do the sako install? Would you need the whole rifle

So the Norma brass is thicker than Lapua? I purchased some hornady 6.5x284 ran it threw same die. Fired light starting loads and i could not eject that brass. The bolt sliped off the stuck case. Had to really ram rod the **** thing to get it out. Ejector I think broke yesterday( Shoot long time established load with Lapua brass). A month befor I was out in the field shooting rnd after rnd and had zero ejection problems. This was after my experience with Hornady brass.

Just a thought,

What's the odds of the cases being a bit long and grabbing the bullet just a bit as the rifle is fired and stretches the case just a bit.

I had the above problem once and had to trim the cases to the proper length. With all of the measurements taken I doubt that case length is the problem. But, still just a thought......

Iron Worker,

The different fired case diameters does not make alot of sense to me either. While the cases are different, the chamber is still the same??

As Roy mentioned, check the case length and make sure they are not to long.

I would recommend a Sako to fix your problem.

Send me an e-mail if you want a price quote and I will get you one out ASAP.

On the Hornady brass, may simply be a smaller case volume jumping pressure up compared to the Norma and Lapua cases. Should always check case volumes before just going with an established load from other brass. With this size of a case capacity and this small of a bore, this can really make a big difference!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.