Do I need a chronograph?

A CHRONOGRAPH IS ESSENTIAL FOR ACCURATE LOADS !
The biggest contributor to accurate loads is get consistent, shot-to-shot,
repeatable velocities. A chronograph is the only way to ensure/obtain
this state of affairs. These days, reliable chronographs cost little
more fhan maybe three boxes of good quality ammunition. Forget the
bells and whistles as an inexpensive 'scientific' hand held calculator
(Casio for example makes several around $ 15 a throw) plus paper
and pencil will give you n incredible amount of useful information...
Not just for hand-loads as one can select quality rimfire ammunition
for accuracy by measuring shot-to-shot velocity variations. 'It (sic) ain't the
the things man (sic) don't know as kills him; its the ones he knows
that do him in: Them's deadly! '
Doc Dempster

(Casio makss vsdl inedxpensie onds of

The Magneto Speed Sporter or V3 attaches via a strap just south of the muzzle of your rifle.
It can become a little tricky in order to obtain a solid tight fit between the magneto speed and your rifle barrel. Even at best you may have to reposition your Chrono after every string of 5 or more shots, as it will move slightly.
It however does a terrific job at recording your shot strings indicating your ES and SD as well as each shot in the strings & MV.
Not sure about the sporter version as I own the V3 and with this unit you can remove the micro SDcard and download all the information to a spreadsheet on your computer. In this manner, you can perform an analysis at home.
You must be mindful when setting up to use the 1/4" X 1/4' square aluminum rectangular rod to ensure proper clearance between the chronograph at the barrel's muzzle, otherwise, you will destroy your chronographs reader.
With all that out of the way you do not need to purchase any add ons ( much like the costlier lab radar) as it is ready to use in bright sunlight, or overcast weather. I have even been caught in a drizzle with no adverse reactions! ( Some less expensive units rely on diffuser panels and must be set up downrange say at 10 yards and can only be used in bright sun while others rely on a transfer of information via a phone cable) With the Magento Speed, there is nothing else to do once you plug in both jacks you are good to go. It can be set up right at your shooting station without any downrange trips to place a chronograph on a tripod. (something else you must purchase)
Once you get the hang of the Magneto Speed Sporter Chronograph and all its virtues for the price point and ease of use you won't go wrong.
As I have stated in other posts the is no better way to determine your ES and SD numbers than with your chronograph. It will yield a wealth of information that is instantly available to you. (and I mean on the spot)
This is more so during your load development using items like the Satterlee Test.
Oh, sure you can measure each target for bullet placement with a caliper or ruler however you cannot determine your SD, without your MV. Your ES as well will require a Chronograph,
Simply stated without a chronograph, you will not be able to obtain either your SD, ES, OR MV.

Remember:
Your Chronograph (no matter which brand) is your friend!

Run some trajectories with the same bullet and 10, 20, & 30 FPS MV differences to ranges you consider feasible. If the hit differences at 30+ FPS MV difference at your max range is unacceptable, you should get a chronograph.

Many people think a chronograph is only used/needed for velocity. If used to its full potential
it has many more benefits/uses. It can show differences in Cartridge cases, primer choices, powder choices, sizing cases, bullet design, combustion efficiency, (SD's and ES's) seating depth effects on pressure, Effects of freebore, Effects of neck clearance, Lead angle, effects of crimping, Bullet coatings, Barrel quality, effects of contrentricity, And so much more if you use it to its potential.

The chronograph can show you why you can't get that desired accuracy. I find it an invaluable tool for achieving the most from your firearm that it is capable of. :)

I am working on an accuracy improvement of a round that is known for 1 MOA at best and using the chronograph, I have already cut the accuracy in half by using a chronograph and feel I can improve accuracy even more with the results the chronograph has given.

I feel it is a must if you reload and strive for ultimate accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Recently on another forum a guy was reloading following book data and broke a bolt in an AR and had a case seperation. The guy had a chrono but no alarm bells were going off in his head when he was getting 150 fps over max load with a 4" shorter barrel. I know we, myself included, loaded for years without one but I consider it a safety issue. With a tight chamber you can be below max loads in a manual and be over pressure. It's also common to find different load data using the same components from different sources. The first step for me in new load development is running a 1 shot ladder over the chrono to find max velocity and pressure in my rifle.

The Sporter Magnetospeed is the same as the V3 except it doesn't show all the data on 1 screen. The bayonet is the exact same.

long range precision game to buy once, cry once and get the Lab Radar.
True words. The light curtain types are useful for pistol loads and arrows. However, they are a PITA to set up, need light to work, and the light filter "bonnets" have sucked on each one I've used, especially on my Chrony Pro Beta. I built a new screen, keeps the sucker dry in rain, and works great in the '8 months out of the year', heavy, gray skies here in the PNW.
That said, it still sucks. I get a lot of "DNR" data points.
Magnetospeed is much nicer, doesn't drop any data points, but you cannot use it for pistols.
In retrospect, I wish I had spent the $200 more to buy a labradar.

On the Magnetospeed affecting your accuracy, it sure does. Not only will it affect the barrel harmonics, if you vary the adjustment of the blade off the front of your rifle, the closer to the bore, the more it will cause a bullet deflection upward. Wouldn't believe it if you had told me, but mounted my magnetospeed close to the bore. Didn't hit it with the bullets, but it was causing them to deflect high enough that they hit the first "bullet deflector" wall at my club. Certainly a WT* moment.

Th level of denial is amazing. NO handloading book, NO list of suggested loads and NO article is written w/o the use of a chronograph. How anyone thinks they can develop consistent, accurate long range loads w/o a chronograph escapes me.
Empirical data, dude. It doesn't lie. Sure you shoot more bullets, but that's fun!

The initial question was silly, some of responses equally so. I'm starting to think that no matter what is obvious to any experienced reloader, there will always be someone to take the opposite view.

The next question should be: "I boresighted my rifle, will it be dead on at 500 yards ?"
Of course it will be dead on, but the target will be in the wrong position. It's a Schrödinger's Cat kind of problem.

If used to its full potential
it has many more benefits/uses.
Didn't see it in your list, but you can also verify the accuracy of your projectile ballistic coefficients. Using a Labradar, you can also see how the B.C.'s change at different velocities. I have always appreciated how Sierra publishes that data.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to have one but it can be very useful and fun to learn more about your loads. I had 2 Howa 30.06s. One shot the same ammo 50fps faster than the other. Nice to know. I made some loads with Superformance powder that had velocities 200fps slower then the manual. Again, nice to know. To me it's worth it to know the extra knowledge about loads and I don't even shoot long range.

Chronographs are great! They can definately help you find the most "statistically" accurate load. Don't waste your money on a Chroney.

If you are only shooting at 100yds, knowing velocity will not help you much. As mentioned above, you can tune your loads at that distance in other ways. However, the data you can collect (environmental and velocity), will allow you to adjust your load as the weather changes, keeping your groups small, even at 100.
Personally, I run a chrono on 90% of my shooting (year around), because I want the data. With it, I can easily load for a particular condition, and maintain precision. For what it is worth..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.