Do I just have a lemon or what

yeah, my son put some up on there a few years ago.

Are you using the Lupy bases with the side windage screws on the rear base? I have seen lots of trouble with those on big rifles.

Jeff
+1^ We had the windage screws shear off on our 7 lb 300 rum from the recoil. It just so happens that it was 3 days before we left for an out of state elk hunt.:rolleyes:

Ya I am ... So ya it seems I'm over my head with this gun considering I only have 32 days left looks as if I might just have to bring my back up gun witt me cuz this thing is driven me nuts

You have tried many combinations of components. I feel strongly there is something wrong with the rifle.

Seeing you are new to rifles you might want to take it to someone who really knows them. I often help others and it is amazing the strange problems that some rifles can have.

The two most recent rifles I worked with had some amazing combinations of issues. Many of these problems could not be seen except with a bore scope. I'll list the combined problems.

Both rifle crowns had to be redone

A Mark V weatherby has a factory chamber cut crooked! Can see different length lands in the throat area indicating the reamer was not inline with the bore.

Bedding material in bottom of blind front action screw hole causing a false tightness of front action screw so action was able to shift around

Barrel not completely floated, making minor contact midway

pilar bedded rifle's bedding receded enough that the pilar was higher causing some strange double grouping

Bore in one was dirty but didn't show fouling except with borescope. Some serious scrubbing with IOOSO removed it

Forward front scope base screw was making contact with barrel threads preventing it from being properly tightened. Some light grinding on end of screw was all it took.

Bolt face was opened up to magnum dimensions BUT not large enough. Caused hard bolt lift after firing.

As you can read there are plenty of issues that might get overlooked by someone new to rifles.

Hey thanks every one for looking out... Ok well I have decided to not take my weather by on this hunt in hopes that someone on this page can maybe point me in the direction of a good smith but I would preference that it be in cal so I can pick up and drop off in person and meet the smith not really to keen on the idea of just sending it via mail

No reason to ship it somewhere. Do you go to a range to shoot the rifle? If so I'd bet there are guys there that would know who to see locally.

My 7mm mag did the same thing. I checked the stock/ barrel contact and found that the stock was touching. after some elbow grease and time I free floated the barrel. I now get 1/2 in groups at 100 yds and about 1 in groups at 200. My gun is a stock Ruger M77 MKII. This may not be your problem, but it is a start. A dollar bill should pass all the way to the action wit no resistance.gun)

did you say that the rifle was free bored? That just may be your problem, (to much space for you bullet to travel before touching groves). Try this sise a case and lube the inside of the neck, now with no primer or powder place a bullet into the mouth of the neck then chamber this dummy. You now know your true over all length, use this dummy to set your seating die load a few and try it. Unfortuneatly these long OAL bullets may not fit in the mag or feed properly but , if it works it works and I only use 1 shot at a time anyway

"did you say that the rifle was free bored? That just may be your problem, (to much space for you bullet to travel before touching groves)."

All Weatherbys that are chambered for Weatherby cartridges have freebore.This is not his problem.You have a case of leupyitis-they dont like muzzle breaks.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.