DIY Alaska black bear hunt options.

JARHEAD1371

I´m in the early stages of planning a DIY Alaska black bear hunt for my wife and I. We aren´t interested in a guided hunt, but a semi guided hunt could be a possibility. We have no experience in AK, but we have lived and hunted in mountains in western states. And we are not expecting an easy hunt.

I have found some drop off services in the southern part of AK, but I´m not sure if this type of hunt is a good idea or not. I have researched some of the areas on the AK game and fish website, but any additional info that anyone cares to share is greatly appreciated.

Also, we will be traveling from the DC area when this hunt happens, so we are planning on flying. Does anyone have any advice on how to transport hide and meat?

I brought my hide and skill back in a cooler.Its been about 9 yes since ice been but the airlines up there would let you bring extra back without the extra charge then I'm not sure about now.I hunted southeast Alaska and there was a ton of black bears there then.I killed one the first trip that almost made Boone and crocket and squared 6'9".Then got another two years later.I was hunting with a guide and had a brown bear tag also both times.I ate two brown bear tags and haven't been back.

I lived in SE AK for around 8 years. Loved it there. Tons of bears on the beaches in the spring looking for grass. Salmon streams in the fall looking for fish. I really miss bear hunting in the spring. I lived in Ketchikan and Petersburg. Some of the biggest black bears are shot on POW island.

Aaron

20061106_0388_zpsfa40b2e2.jpg.html

20061106_0388_zpsfa40b2e2.jpg.html

Me and my nephew went on a "transporter" black bear hunt. The transporter was based out of Whittier but now they are going out of Homer. We went on their 50' boat which we ate and slept on. We had bad weather, rained all 5 days while we were out. Possibly the reason they moved.

Anyway the plan was to cruise around the coves and islands and try to see bears, get on the skiff and stalk them. Well we saw one bear the first afternoon out but it was a big sow with two cubs. That was it for the 5 days. We did catch fish off the covered back deck and made the best of the wet weather. Went to shore everyday but in all reality it was probably too late, as it was in June.

PM me with questions and the name, as I am not sure I can "promote" a business

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.