Dies/Reamer for 6.5x280Ackley

BearBow

I'm building a new rifle on a Borden action/Krieger barrel....was going to try the very impressive 6.5x06 Ackley, but recently read alot about the 6.5x280 Ackley and want to try that instead....problem is I can't find any dies....RCBS or Redding; have found reamers....though that is another problem....the one i found is for a 6.5x280 Imp_RCBS...which is not an Ackley...it's a 30deg shoulder vice 40deg...
bottom line i need to match reamer w/dies, and prefer a 40deg AI setup...

Can anyone out there can help me....Seems like alot of work to shorten the case-making one step...284 to 264, vice 308 to 284 to 264....dont want to use 25-06 since that will thin the walls of the neck.
Does anyone have any actual experience using both of these 2 calibers...any difference....theoretically should gain 2-4 grains in the 280AI brass...apx 4-5%
Thanks...
Brad, USN (ret)

Can you find a redding 280Ai bushing sizer? You can then size down 280 brass and fireform it or just neck down 280AI nosler brass. You can build a seating die pretty easy once you have the reamer. You can even order the stems/tops from wilson.

Rarely when dealing with wildcats will you find off the shelf matching reamers and dies. There are to many variations of each, that are the same name but different in key sizes.

The best bet is talk with a reamer maker such as Dave Kiff at Pacific tool and guage to have him make the reamer for the bullets you want. Your own reamer is about $150 and another $50 for go and no-go gauges.

Then go to Neil Jones Custom Products with a reamer print. They will make a set of dies to perfectly match your chamber. Neil will send you a NS die only initially to allow you to load and fire five cases three times to get them to grow to chamber dimensions. Send the NS die back along with the 5 cases and he will fit the die with a custom body insert for your chamber that is also a shoulder bump bushing die. Cost is $275 and about 30-45 days.

You are investing in a top quality outfit it looks like, buying off shelf reamer and mismatching dies will probably not work as well as you would like.

Now having said that, the reamer mftrs also make the reamers for die mftrs. Quite often you can talk to Dave Kiff and find out who is using his reamers for a given wildcat and just need to get his reamer when you confirm with the die company that is what they are using.

Right now ordering custom (non stock) dies is taking 3-6 months to get them.

Neil Jones is better die and quicker.

BH

Thanks Bounty Hunter....good info...or for 3grs less, i can just stick with the 6.5x06AI, which has become fairly standard....I'll let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.