Dialing on the newer leupolds.

abdul-hannan

I have heard very mixed reviews with dialing on the leupold vx5hd and vx6hd. From what I have heard tho it seems a lot of people are having good experiences with the newer cds zl2 dials. So what has your experience been with the newer Leupold vx lines and dialing? and yes I know you can beat an animal to death with a nightforce and still dial reliably, I am just looking for experiences with newer Leupolds and dialing. Thanks!

These were taken at 630 yards and 540 yards with the VX6-HD. I dialed that scope for constant long range shooting sessions past 1000 yards. Took it around the western US and took 7 animals with it. Never had ONE SINGLE issue. I since put a Mark 5 on that rifle, for FFP. But that VX6 was legit. Legit enough that I just bought a VX5-HD to put a new 6.5 PRC I just acquired. I could afford any scope on the market, but for $1k-$2k, the VX5 & VX6-HD's have been great to me. The Mark 5 is even better IMO.

Also had a 6.5 CM with a VX5-HD that I killed 4 bucks with and also shot it out to 1000 yards. Also never let me down.
IMG_5864.jpeg
IMG_6386.jpeg

These were taken at 630 yards and 540 yards with the VX6-HD. I dialed that scope for constant long range shooting sessions past 1000 yards. Took it around the western US and took 7 animals with it. Never had ONE SINGLE issue. I since put a Mark 5 on that rifle, for FFP. But that VX6 was legit. Legit enough that I just bought a VX5-HD to put a new 6.5 PRC I just acquired. I could afford any scope on the market, but for $1k-$2k, the VX5 & VX6-HD's have been great to me. The Mark 5 is even better IMO.

Also had a 6.5 CM with a VX5-HD that I killed 4 bucks with and also shot it out to 1000 yards. Also never let me down.
View attachment 324655View attachment 324656
Wow being able to afford any scope on the market that's the dream! congrats on those big bucks!

I have heard very mixed reviews with dialing on the leupold vx5hd and vx6hd. From what I have heard tho it seems a lot of people are having good experiences with the newer cds zl2 dials. So what has your experience been with the newer Leupold vx lines and dialing? and yes I know you can beat an animal to death with a nightforce and still dial reliably, I am just looking for experiences with newer Leupolds and dialing. Thanks!

I have 3 VX5HDs with the CDS-ZL turrets and they have been great. I did send one back cause the turret and the markings on the dials were off about half a click. Leupold returned it back to me no problem.

I belong to a long distance shooting range and I dial every session. They have returned to zero fine for me. The VXHD series are excellent hunting scopes where someone may dial in their distance. I don't believe they were designed for PRS competition.

have two or 3 older vx3 dialed them all over.There on my more med range rifles 6-700

Wow being able to afford any scope on the market that's the dream! congrats on those big bucks!
Might I suggest you look into getting a good mounting system, like a Spuhr, M brace by ARC and buying just 1 really nice scope... then you use one scope for all your rifles. Simple to keep track of your zero. I do this and it allows me to buy better optics.

VX3i 4.5-14x40 on my smokeless muzzleloader
VX5HD 3-15x44 on my 264 win mag
VX6HD 3-18x44 on my 22 creedmoor

All three dial great, return to zero great, and I haven't had to adjust zero yet. The VX5HD 3-15 in my opinion is the best deal out there. I am still amazed how good it is for the price. All of my shooting buddies that bought a Leupold HD have loved them.

Might I suggest you look into getting a good mounting system, like a Spuhr, M brace by ARC and buying just 1 really nice scope... then you use one scope for all your rifles. Simple to keep track of your zero. I do this and it allows me to buy better optics.
A good mounting is one very important piece of equipment. Glad you point that out!

VX3i 4.5-14x40 on my smokeless muzzleloader
VX5HD 3-15x44 on my 264 win mag
VX6HD 3-18x44 on my 22 creedmoor

All three dial great, return to zero great, and I haven't had to adjust zero yet. The VX5HD 3-15 in my opinion is the best deal out there. I am still amazed how good it is for the price. All of my shooting buddies that bought a Leupold HD have loved them.
Agree. You should see the FOV/sight picture in the 2-10x42 though. HUGE!

Recent Posts