Dial-up warning several MB of photos - Namibia hunt

FergusBailey

Guys

I am back from my Namibia hunting trip. This was my first time in that country, but not my first time in Africa. I took my 9.3 x 64 and 308 Baer on this trip. Once on the hunt, all shots were taken with the Baer. The country was everything I expected with most shots presenting themselves at over 250 yards. These photos are about half the animals taken. The hunt was a "cull hunt", so the trophy quality varied but Johan, the PH was committed to getting at least one good animal of each species. For some reason, the longer shots tended to be smaller animals, but there were some very nice animals on the properties we hunted and some great trophies were taken this trip:

P1000104.jpg

Hunters accommodation

P1000158.jpg

Gemsbok in the distance

P1000017.jpg

First animal of the hunt - gemsbok at 340 yards

P1000133.jpg

Trophy gemsbok taken at 350 yards

P1000047.jpg

Springbok taken at 375 yards

P1000131.jpg

Springbok taken at 435 yards

P1000145.jpg

Springbok taken at 518 yards

P1000118.jpg

Trophy steinbok.

P1000187.jpg

Recovered 180gn Accubond bullets - weights left to right 111gn, 109gn and 123gn

P1000089.jpg

Typical Namibian Kalahari countryside

P1000148.jpg

Sunset in Namibia

Wonderful! This just makes me want to go that much more! That had to be a great trip! Seeing these photos reminds me of a question I haven't asked. I know that the accommodations can be very reasonable but I've always wondered about the trophy fees. Can anyone explain how this works? And what about tags? Thanks for posting! It kinda warms my heart to see another lefty make good on an excellent hunt!

Great Pictures...Thanks for sharing them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HBB

Fergus,
I may have been in Namibia about the same time you were ( June 1st to 12th). We hunted north of you and were in rolling hills (they called them mountains) that were very heavily covered with thorn bushes and trees. No long shots where we hunted, although we did hunt springbuck in a desert complex called the Namib desert. Out in the desert our shots were just under 300, could have shot longer but did not have any drop data for the cartridge I was shooting (.30 T/C).

Beautiful images, congratulations on taking some fine trophies. If I returned I would much prefer hunting in open, sandy country like that. We got pounded by the rocky trails, very hard on our backs in particular. Most of our shooting was close, under 50 yards because the bush was so thick. We hunted waterholes a lot as well as driving and spot and stalks.

Did your guides show you the human face on the left testicle of the springbuck? Absolutely amazing, I never would have believed it if I did not see it.

Very nice pictures, Fergus. Thanks for posting.

I had heard that Namibia is the place to be for long rangers. I see from Ian's experience that's not the case absolutely everywhere in the country.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that the accommodations can be very reasonable but I've always wondered about the trophy fees. Can anyone explain how this works? And what about tags?

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer depends a bit on the country, so will be a bit generic. Usually you will pay a daily rate which includes all accommodation, guiding, meals, etc costs - pretty much everything except the trophies. Then there is a trophy fee which is set on a supply-and-demand type basis and paid per animal shot. In many countries, there are no "tags" and the
property owner / professional hunter makes all the decisions about what animals are shot.

The exception is when hunting is undertaken on a government concession which is leased to an outfitter. Then the government sets quotas and issues licences. Governments may also mandate how many days must be booked to hunt a given species.

This all sounds complicated, but is pretty straight forward in practice. Give it a try, its great fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
I may have been in Namibia about the same time you were ( June 1st to 12th)

[/ QUOTE ]

I arrived in Joburg on the 8th and left on the 16th so we were sure in-country for some of the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
We hunted north of you and were in rolling hills (they called them mountains) that were very heavily covered with thorn bushes and trees. No long shots where we hunted, although we did hunt springbuck in a desert complex called the Namib desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the photos of the north that I have seen look a bit greener with more hills and rock on the ground than we saw down south. Its pretty remote down where we were, but great hunting.

[ QUOTE ]
If I returned I would much prefer hunting in open, sandy country like that. We got pounded by the rocky trails, very hard on our backs in particular. Most of our shooting was close, under 50 yards because the bush was so thick. We hunted waterholes a lot as well as driving and spot and stalks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No pounding where we were, but some scary driving at times. Johan, the PH uses Range Rovers that are stripped down to the chassis to drive over the dunes which worked pretty well most of the time - though there was one exception. We generally went flying up the hills to keep the momentum going, then would come down some VERY steep inclines. On one occasion we went flying up a hill then the breaks slammed on - there was nothing more than a pretty severe drop-off waiting on the other side.

[ QUOTE ]
Did your guides show you the human face on the left testicle of the springbuck? Absolutely amazing, I never would have believed it if I did not see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, never saw that. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif for the photo.

Fergus

Len

[ QUOTE ]
I had heard that Namibia is the place to be for long rangers. I see from Ian's experience that's not the case absolutely everywhere in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think Namibia represents the best African destination for the hunter wanting long shots. Like in the US, you need to do your homework and find an outfitter / guide who is comfortable with the idea. Most hunting in Africa is done at 100 yards or less, so many guides are very wary of people wanting to take long shots. I have seen a few exceptions in South Africa in places like Free State where the hunting is mountains country with little cover. My Namibian guide was quite open to the idea and was trying to educate himself better on long range shooting.

in about 3 years im going to take and early retirement and sell of my assets hire a financial broker move out of california back to wisconsin . there are 2 things i want to do before my maker calls me . one is africa and one i a caribou hunt these fantastic picture just confimed it

DB

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.