Detached suppressor ?

be more concerned about people claiming your bullets are ricocheting onto their property-- that's what happened with my neighbor that didn't like me shooting on my agg land
Every shooting range attracts lawyers

next question.... *** has 10 acres that is only 100 feet wide? Or even 200?
There are at least 20 pieces of land in my COUNTY in Ga for sale that are 200-400ft wide and LONG. They are anywhere from 5.5 to 15 acres. It's an easy way to split a tract of land in, say, the 200 acre range that only has one side of road frontage. Keeps from land locking a part of the property while maximising the number of lots to sale.

One other thing to consider also is how far from a dwelling you have to be before discharging a firearm. Trust me my wonderful neighbor called the local nazis and I ended up with a 186 dollar donation to the county I live in. I'm sure the laws vary from state to state ours is 500 ft from a "dwelling" even your own home .
Yep you just read that right. Up until 2 yrs ago you could not legally shoot within 500 ft of your own freaking house in Wv dumbest crap I've ever seen or heard. We live 15 miles out of town in the country and the neighbor got their panties in a wad and called the law. I HATE NEIGHBORS! Wanna sell my place and build a house in the middle of my property at my camp . No neighbors that way for a mile

They are trying to choke us out however they can. Luckily for me, Ga is very lenient towards firearms usage and ownership. We are a pro gun state and our state government still holds the second amendment in high regard. We have laws that state you cant fire a gun within , I think 100 ft of a dwelling. Cant hunt from the road. Have to be at least 150 ft off the road to shoot an animal. But by and large, if your in the country and on property you have permission to be on, shoot all you want . Our citizens are still trusted to be responsible for our firearm safety and I think most people deserve that trust. But like everywhere else there are idiots out there that give ammo to those that want us to let our government protect our families , so you never know when the crazies might have all they need to turn my state into another commifornia.

next question.... *** has 10 acres that is only 100 feet wide? Or even 200?
I can see your confusion on the size of properties. Co is very different than Ga from a landscape perspective. 10 acres for you would probably be a little strip on a mountain slope that you can see all parts of. Here, it would take all day and a heap of walking around to see everything on a wooded 10 acre tract. Our land is flat to rolling hills with thick vegetation that is difficult to walk through in many places. The DNR did a survey a few years back to see what the average distance was that our deer were harvested at. For both rifle and bow, it was 15yds !

Just thinking out loud about a possible situation I might find myself in at some point in the foreseeable future.
Land around my area is getting sliced thinner and thinner these days when your in the market for 5 to 10 acres ie, deep, but narrow. That's a good thing for a long range , uh, range, but a long skinny property creates a possibility of making enemies of your neighbors from all the racket.
This brings up my question for the fine members of LRH. Has any of you built a sound trap for your single bench , home shooting range ? Or did I just give away a patentable way to make a million dollars , lol ?
Seriously, I'm thinking about something like a 3' x 3' open ended box , maybe 6' long, permanently mounted in front of your shooting bench. On the inside of the box I'm thinking of acoustic insulation of some kind ie. Egg crate or foam. Just something to take the edge off the sonic boom to either side of the muzzle brake to keep the neighbors friendly. I cant be the only one who has thought of this for load developement when you might shoot 20 - 30 shots a day for several days in close proximity to others that might not like all the racket.
Thoughts ?
Get a class III suppressor generally you can get around a 30db reduction
It's just a muffler for your rifle.
I have been inside 8' ceilings fired into a bullet trap (300 blackout) and the loudest part of it was the brass bouncing on the cement floor.
If you use a trust for your newly purchased suppressor you don't have to get permission from the sheriff you end up just notifying him of the presence of a class III item in his county.
The end of crazy neighbors take it to the range and they like it because tour quieter there too.
You will never regret quiet shooting

Well, precisely 43,560 feet in length if you went skinny 10 feet wide......that's 8.25 miles.....seriously. Or, if 100 ft wide, you could go 4,356 feet long....1.21 miles. I'm guessing that will be long enough for what ever you might be shooting. :) :) :)

Think you have your miles confused with km...or close to km anyway.

Just thinking out loud about a possible situation I might find myself in at some point in the foreseeable future.
Land around my area is getting sliced thinner and thinner these days when your in the market for 5 to 10 acres ie, deep, but narrow. That's a good thing for a long range , uh, range, but a long skinny property creates a possibility of making enemies of your neighbors from all the racket.
This brings up my question for the fine members of LRH. Has any of you built a sound trap for your single bench , home shooting range ? Or did I just give away a patentable way to make a million dollars , lol ?
Seriously, I'm thinking about something like a 3' x 3' open ended box , maybe 6' long, permanently mounted in front of your shooting bench. On the inside of the box I'm thinking of acoustic insulation of some kind ie. Egg crate or foam. Just something to take the edge off the sonic boom to either side of the muzzle brake to keep the neighbors friendly. I cant be the only one who has thought of this for load developement when you might shoot 20 - 30 shots a day for several days in close proximity to others that might not like all the racket.
Thoughts ?
I've had the same issue with close neighbours, but here in Australia we don't have the option of attaching suppressors. The best substitute I've found is to line up and secure half a dozen old car tires with the resulting inside tube aimed downrange, and stuffing the inside cavities with house insulation. Not very portable or flexible, but it is legal and worked a treat! Take care if your range slopes in any direction, because if not properly secured, your giant suppressor will seize the first opportunity of escape and go downhill like nobody's business!

6 to 8 large tyres, in a long box to keep them in place (no space between them) - fill them with densely packed insulated stuff like fibreglass (nothing flameable).... pack it dense.

Egg create or acoustical foam will do nothing.... they do not absorb enough energy.

You cannot do anything to suppress the sonic boom - it comes from the moving bullet and will be generated all the way down range.
I'm pretty confident the sonic boom doesn't continue to generate as the bullet travels down range . The sound doesnt just disappear, but the boom is a one time thing at the moment the bullet breaks the sound barrier. If you can block the sound wave from the sides, the boom should be much quieter on the other side of the barrier, but still full level in any direction that isn't baffled.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts