Dented case necks

rharfo

Got 100 new in the bag from cabelas 300 Win Mag brass. Over half have dented case necks. One has a build up of brass on the neck and is probably junk. Can I just neck size and fix the case mouths?
In comparison I just got 100 22-250 Nosler brass perfect condition.

Got 100 new in the bag from cabelas 300 Win Mag brass. Over half have dented case necks. One has a build up of brass on the neck and is probably junk. Can I just neck size and fix the case mouths?
In comparison I just got 100 22-250 Nosler brass perfect condition.

I always full length resize new brass. You can try neck sizing but it might not chamber. I certainly would check before I loaded up a bunch.

after the first firing in a bolt gun I certainly would just neck size

Over half have dented case necks. One has a build up of brass on the neck and is probably junk. Can I just neck size and fix the case mouths?

I run into this with a lot of Remington brass. I think they make their brass with the same tools they make their rifles with. :D

Anyway...

If dented and lots of slop on the neck rim:
1) neck it or full size
2) trim and campfer (removes the slop)
3) neck it again and shoot

If not dented (much)
1) just campfer it to remove the slop
2) neck or full length size and shoot.

I usually chamber a few of them before deciding to full length or not. Just to make sure they will actually fit. Very rare that one doesn't.

I bet you can save all of them, unless you find one with a split neck.

Before running it in, be sure the entire case is well lubed. Especially inside the neck.

Has to be the trash Winchester passes off as Brass. 1. Don't buy Winchester, 2. Dented case mouths are least of Winchester issues, look at the flash holes, then weigh them you will have over a 20% reject rate and that's with fixing as much as possible. 3. Call Winchester, they are worthless.

Has to be the trash Winchester passes off as Brass. 1. Don't buy Winchester, 2. Dented case mouths are least of Winchester issues, look at the flash holes, then weigh them you will have over a 20% reject rate and that's with fixing as much as possible. 3. Call Winchester, they are worthless.

Same experience with Winchester brass, folds in the neck, primer pocket and flash hole issues, even globs of brass on necks. Not to mention weight variation. Winchester brass should be displayed in bulk bins so the buyer can sort through it.

Dented cases are not unusual because of the mass production, tumbling and polishing process.

I normally full length size all new brass then trim until they are all the same length, I also take this time to turn the necks if necessary and prep the flash hole. after all prep is done I then weight all cases and sort by 1 grain lots.

I will normally have 0 to 1 rejects with Lapua brass. 3 to 5 with Remington (Unless things have changed) 8 or more with Winchester or federal.

Other brands are not predictable so I do what I can if I have to buy them.

By prepping the brass before you load it you will have better luck and less chance of not being able to chamber. It also makes you fire formed brass more consistent.

I used to use a lot of DWM brass because it was tough but cant get it anymore.

Just an opinion based on my experiences with new brass.

J E CUSTOM

Didn't realize Win brass was so cheaply made. I full length sized. I have one thats probably garbage for sure. I have yet to weigh or measure them... I bought this for the rifle I am having built... not sure I should use it now.... I do have some new Federal and Norma....
thanks for all the help

Ran into the same problem a few years ago for a 7 mag I was having built. I ordered some win brass for it but when I received it the case mouths were dented badly and the primer flash hole were more Cresent shaped then circle. Ordered norma and the brass was much better.

Had better luck with the Norma, as stated by others, as well as Nosler brass. Remington next, then Federal and Winchester bringing up the rear.
IIRC, Remington, Winchester and Federal all 'punch' the flash holes. Not all will be perfectly round nor centered well in the primer area. In addition, running some of the Feds and Wins through the sizer, I've crushed a few of them in the process, hence the 5 gallon bucket next to the bench for recycling.
With the exception of the Norma and Nosler brass, all of it goes through the sizer first. Norma and Nosler just get some run through the rifle before loading to make sure they fit. I've never had one of the Nosler or Norma brass not fit though.

buy lapua brass and you can quit bitching. You get what you pay for.

Norma brass is almost as good

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.