Defensive Edge 338 Edge @ 890 Meters DUH Oh Yeah !!

Well Done, DUH.

That is one big "deer"... So sambar are almost elk sized huh?

Here in Colorado we hunt elk most every year and I am always amazed
at the size of a downed elk.

Well Done, DUH.

That is one big "deer"... So sambar are almost elk sized huh?

Here in Colorado we hunt elk most every year and I am always amazed
at the size of a downed elk.

4x,

They certainly have some size about them, but not as big as elk. They have alot shorter legs but are built like a fat 44 galon drum ! They certainly know how to take the lead in well placed spots.

Glad you liked the pics.

DUH

4x,

They certainly have some size about them, but not as big as elk. They have alot shorter legs but are built like a fat 44 galon drum ! They certainly know how to take the lead in well placed spots.

Glad you liked the pics.

DUH

You bet! If I'm hearing you right, sambar are a lot like elk... that they are very hard to knock down. From 270 win through 300 mag, the ones I have killed didn't even flinch. All with heart lung shots. Even though none of them went 40 yards after the shot, I would have to say that at the point of the shot they were pretty unimpressed with my best efforts. :D

Interesting find last night whilst the butchering session took place.

We found an old projectile in the knee joint of his rear rhs leg. His knee was a mass of swollen bone. The deer was not walking with a limp at all so I'd same the injury was some time ago.

The projo is about 7mm wide across the base. It has completely shed its lead core and is just copper base plus a little bent over jacket.

What cal is this pill likely to be .. ? 7MM ?? Ideas.

Now I can see why he was malformed on his left antler.

Cheers

DUH

Interesting find last night whilst the butchering session took place.

We found an old projectile in the knee joint of his rear rhs leg. His knee was a mass of swollen bone. The deer was not walking with a limp at all so I'd same the injury was some time ago.

The projo is about 7mm wide across the base. It has completely shed its lead core and is just copper base plus a little bent over jacket.

What cal is this pill likely to be .. ? 7MM ?? Ideas.

Now I can see why he was malformed on his left antler.

Cheers

DUH
If it was a flat based bullet then 7mm is probably right. If a BT then probably a .20cal I'd think.

If he was fevered up from that wound during the early part of the velvet phase of antler development that definitely could be the cause of the deformity.

Just EXCELLENT D.U.H. - well done sir!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

Well you have to take advantage when lightening strikes twice so heres the latest..

Managed to sneak out of the office by 4pm to get to my glassing spot with an hour and a half of prime time to go. Got the gear loaded up and off for a short half K walk into my ambush.

This spot basically over watches a big long gully that is probably about 1.5 Kms long, and from this rock outcropping I can cover most cnrs with the EDGE. I have managed for the last couple of years to pull a nice stag from it during Sept so I was optimistic we might see something.

Once I got set up, gun laid out, kestrel rolling etc I got to work glassing the far side of the gully. Unfortunately I saw some cows feeding on the mountain which had me doubting my chosen spot. The deer rarely like to mix and compete with the cattle if they can avoid it.

Anyways I kept the glasses rolling when I spied a solid stag some distance away come from over the opposite ridgeline and start feeding within my effective range. After looking him over I decided he needed a bullet so quickly plugged the numbers into the PDA

Conditions

BP 28.14
RH 65 %
Temp 64 F
COS .99

Distance to target 890 Meters with the geovid binos.

I had a level shooting position to get prone and with not a breath of wind I dialled on the 23 MOA up with no wind allowence.

I then dry fired on him a couple of times to tame the nerves then wound up the NXS to 20 X and settled the crosshair. YANK Whoops safety on .....

Settled the crosshair again... then the gun spoke. WHooooosh across the valley.

I then get the very solid comback sound of a solid hit... I get back on the binos to see whats going on to see him walking 20M from the strike looking really hit hard... then down he goes into a tree on the slope. Watching him he jams his antlers into the ground and comes to an end upsidedown hooked around a tree. I watch for another 5 mins with no movement. Best of all there is a track accross on the other side of the valley that will allow the vehicle with about 300 M of him.

Hooked around the tree

Twenty mins later I am around there and standing over him. A big old bull probably past his prime and missing a tine but after that shot I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

IMG_17402.jpg

Thanks Shawn Carlock for building me a gun thats turned doubters into believers !

Hey Shawn,

It used to be.. " You got a 338 what ?".... "338 EDGE, What the F is that ?"

Lets just say a few people DOWN UNDER now know what a 338 EDGE is thanks to your tools.

Shoot straight

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.